"Dik Trom Town" Hoofddorp by pieter_jan_v
Hoofddorp Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 134 photos
Translated into English Hoofddorp means Main Village. Well, Hoofddorp is the civil center of the Haarlemmermeer polder, an area that used to be a big inner lake.
In 1853 after the creation of the Haarlemmermeer polder it was decided to construct two villages: Kruisdorp and Venneperdorp, both situaded in the center of the polder.
At july 11, 1855 the Haarlemmermeer got civil rights and at november 12, 1868 it was decided to rename Kruisdorp into Hoofddorp. The old name remains in the streetname Kruisweg in the heart of Hoofddorp. The Hoofdvaart (main canal) is situated perpendigular to the Kruisweg and connects Hoofddorp to the Lijnden pump station.
In 1856 the windmill De Eersteling was build.
Hoofddorp is home to the Polderhouse (control of the polder waterworks) and the Raadshuis (City Hall of the Haarlemmermeer polder).
After 1960 Hoofddorp expanded with Plan Eyke (1964), Kalorama (1967) and Graan voor Visch (1970).
Later more suburbs were developped like Pax, Bornholm, Overbos, Toolenburg, Boseilanden and Floriande.
Hoofddorp is known from the story of Dik Trom by writer/teacher C. Joh. Kieviet (1858 - 1931).
Through the centuries storms at the Lake South of the city of Haarlem claimed more and more land and shipping was dangerous too. As early as the 1600's plans were made to control the lake. It lasted till 1840 after the invention of the steam pump, that a start was made to reclaim the land. Three big pump stations were build along a "ringvaart" (the outer water ring canal). In 1852 after 800 million cubic meters of water were pumped out the polder took shape.
Farmers from all over the Netherlands started on land they had to rent from rich landowners. It took some 50 years before profits were made and a decent living could be guaranteed.
After WWII development went fast with the ever increasing business around the Schiphol Airport.
- Pros:Close to Schiphol Airport
- Cons:Close to Schiphol Airport
- In a nutshell:Main polder town
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Hoofddorp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hoofddorp the city in between cities"
- "Home of Mysteryland"
- "Dik Trom Town"
- "More pics from the Floriade"
- "Floriade overview"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoofddorp
- Hotels in Hoofddorp
- Transportation in Hoofddorp
- Nightlife in Hoofddorp
- Restaurants in Hoofddorp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoofddorp
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Hoofddorp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoofddorp
Photos in HoofddorpSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1522 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 158 reviews, 419 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues