"Lovely ancient harbour town" Top 5 Page for this destination Hoorn by pieter_jan_v
Hoorn Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 383 photos
Hoorn probably got its name from Hornus, a Frisian who started a settlement in 716. That villages is no longer there as it was detroyed by fire at the Zuiderzee took a lot of the main land in the 12th century.
The oldest remains of the present town date from around 1200, when Hoorn was a small village with some farming around. The locks in the Gouw river at the present Rode Steen square dates from 1288.
The land structure around Hoorn changed many times due to inundations by the Zuiderzee and the development of adjacent polders.
Hoorn got Cityrights on March 26, 1357. Hoorn toke up its own city managements and trade development flourished. Soon Hoorn was the most important harbour after Amsterdam. In 1481 there was a big city fire.
During the 80 year war agains Spain, the 1573 sea battle is legendary. The Spanish commander Bossu was taken prison and his fleet destroyed.
In the 16th and 17th century trade and world exploration came to a climax. Hoorn was represented in the VOC (East Indies Company), WIC (West Indies Company) and the Noordse Compagnie (Whaling Company).
Hoorn skippers Jacob le Maire en Willem Cornelisz Schouten wre the first to round Cape Hoorn (the Southern point os South America) with their ships Hoorn and Eendracand.
In the 18th Century economy went down, when the harbour silted up. Things became even worse during the French time. Hoorn lost all its government power and never regained that.
In the 19th century the economic interest changed to milk- and cheese trade.
- Pros:So much history
- In a nutshell:Ancient harbour town
Noppes is a second hand goods shop in a modern buiding at a small industrial part of Hoorn There are two floors of... more travel advice
Café Fame is a nice little place with special weekend events. Business hours: Mo: Closed Tu-Th: 2PM - 2AM Fr-Sa: 2PM -... more travel advice
- See All Midtown
- See All Elias Koster Dz statue
- See All Hoorn bus transportation
- See All Claas Stapel's Hof
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Hoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely ancient harbour town"
- "A trip to Hoorn"
- "Horn - Home of famous sailors and adventurers!"
- "Hoorn, the place I worked for 20 years"
- "Hoorn (a joke for spanish people lol)"
- "From Hoorn to Medemblik then Enkhuisen then Amster"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoorn
- Hotels in Hoorn
- Transportation in Hoorn
- Nightlife in Hoorn
- Restaurants in Hoorn
- Shopping in Hoorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoorn
- 85 Reviews
- 229 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Hoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoorn
Photos in HoornSee All Photos (229)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1520 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 157 reviews, 417 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues