"LELYSTAD" Lelystad by pieter_jan_v
Lelystad Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 166 photos
Lelystad named after Ir. Cornelis Lely, designer of the Zuiderzee polder project, is the capital of the Flevoland provence.
The history of the area around Lelystad takes us back about 6500 years.
Around that time people were living on the top of sandhills formed at the end of the ice age. Flevo originates from a Roman name, that was given to the Northern Rhine river delta. The sea gained more and more and at the end of the 13th century only the highest hills remained as island. The Zuiderzee grew biger and bigger and only the islands Urk, Emmeloord and Ens (Schokland) remained, In the 19th century also Schokland was lost to the sea.
Already in the 17th century Hemric Stevin came with plans to tame the sea. From 1850 several design were made to control to sea, but it lasted until 1918, before the design of dr. Ir. Cornelis Lely was accepted. In 1932 the Afsluitdijk was completed and the Zuiderzee was transformed into the controlled IJsselmeer. New Polders were made thereafter.
Not only farmland was created, but also recreational areas and nature areas like the Oostvaardersplassen.
After World War II plans were made by Mr. Takes to create a big city on the new land. The idea was that Flevoland would be a new Dutch provence with its own capital. In 1951 the first inhabitants of the construction island, now known as Lelystad-Haven arrived. People had to wait till the new polder became dry enough to start building a city.
On March 9, 1966 construction started and at September 28, 1967 the first keys were handed over to the new citizens.
- Cons:Too modern, no old buildings
- In a nutshell:The youngest capital of the Netherlands
Piet Friet Snackbar is a typical Dutch fast food joint at the Batavia shipyard and Bataviastad Outlet center. more travel advice
Lelystad Airport is a small airport aimed at business flights , training flights and leisure flights. The following... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Lelystad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just nature"
- "Lelystad - Home of the "Uiver""
- "Lelystad Page"
- "A very young city!"
- "On the bottom of the sea"
- "Lelystad, a non city town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lelystad
- Hotels in Lelystad
- Transportation in Lelystad
- Restaurants in Lelystad
- Shopping in Lelystad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lelystad
- 22 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Lelystad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lelystad
Photos in LelystadSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1522 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 158 reviews, 419 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues