"Orvelte - A museum village" Orvelte by pieter_jan_v
Orvelte Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 71 photos
Orvelte is a museum village open to public at no costs. Individual theme farms can be visited for a small fee.
The history of this farmer's village dates back to 1362, when Orvele was mentioned. Later names were: Orvelde (1390), te Oorvelde (1454), Orvelte (1598) and Orvelde (1930).
Orvelt or over-velt means at the other side of the moor.
In the 1960's the village became a monument. The original structure of the village is changed. A brink (village square) was created and from the 17 original Orvelte farms only 8 still remain. Other farms from the province of Drenthe were moved and reconstructed at Orvelte to complete an overall picture.
- Pros:Well preserved
- In a nutshell:Living past
Atelier 1280 is the place for ceramic art. Not only can you buy ceramics here, but making your own is possible too. The... more travel advice
Around most of the Orvelte farms there are fruit trees, especial apple trees more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Orvelte Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Orvelte
- Hotels in Orvelte
- Transportation in Orvelte
- Restaurants in Orvelte
- Shopping in Orvelte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orvelte
- 15 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Orvelte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orvelte
Photos in OrvelteSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 513 reviews, 1558 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 159 reviews, 423 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues