"Rijssen" Rijssen by pieter_jan_v
Rijssen Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 28 photos
Romans already had a settlement on the hill South of a wetland area in the first century AC. Later the area called "Marke van Rinse" was cultivated into agriculture and the highest parts and meadows at the lowest parts. Housing was start on the sandy grounds in the middle.
The first church was started by Lebuïnus in 770.
In 1243 Rijssen got its city rights from Otto III, the bishop of Utrecht.
Canals and city walls did not prefens that Rijssen was ransacked and set to fire several times through the ages.
The reformation of 1626 brought power back to the nobels.
The 16th and 17th century brought more labour that was organised in the form of local gildes (unions).
Local products made from the local crops formed the basis for the later industry.
Rijssen has many churches. The first church bacame the Main church for the eare around Rijssen in 1188.
Markets have been important to Rijssen, The cattle trade market was one of them and the last one (for pigs) closed at 1976.
During the summer there are popular Flea Markets at the main square and some adjacent streets, held on 5 Thursdays at the end of July and through August.
- Pros:Good deals
- In a nutshell:Religeous village
Café De Molen is a local cosy pub in the heart of town. more travel advice
Van Otten is a well known bread bakery and ice cream parlor. The place is popular for it's cakes, bread and ice... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Rijssen Travel Guide
- Hotels in Rijssen
- Transportation in Rijssen
- Restaurants in Rijssen
- Shopping in Rijssen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rijssen
- 12 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Rijssen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rijssen
Photos in RijssenSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1522 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 157 reviews, 417 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues