"Rotterdam" Rotterdam by pieter_jan_v
Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 3,807 photos
As a native Amsterdammer is difficult to build a Rotterdam-page (although Rotterdam has an AJAX-street!). There is some controversy between the two cities (comparable to LA and San Francisco). Rotterdam is a working city where most activities are related to its harbour. Due to the destruction of most of the city center in WW2 the heart of the city was reconstructed and modern architecture is one of Rotterdam's strong points. Locally the city is known as "Manhattan aan de Maas" and there are plans to construct new tall buildings. The "White House" build in 1898 was the first European skycratcher topping 45 meters!
The WW2 destruction is symbolized in this statue made by Ossip Zadkine.
- Pros:Everything within walking distance
- Cons:Busy highways
- In a nutshell:Manhattan aan de Maas
The Rotterdam Splashbus drives along the Rotterdam harbour and even sails into the water. The departure is at the... more travel advice
JOHO is probably the greatest travel shop/service center around. It's not just a travel agency, but also sells... more travel advice
- See All Hotelroom with a lookoff view
- See All Downtown Theater
- See All City Hall - Stadhuis
- See All Old ships and more ....
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 48 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 129 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1522 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 158 reviews, 419 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues