"Rotterdam" Rotterdam by pieter_jan_v
Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,523 reviews and 4,048 photos
As a native Amsterdammer is difficult to build a Rotterdam-page (although Rotterdam has an AJAX-street!). There is some controversy between the two cities (comparable to LA and San Francisco). Rotterdam is a working city where most activities are related to its harbour. Due to the destruction of most of the city center in WW2 the heart of the city was reconstructed and modern architecture is one of Rotterdam's strong points. Locally the city is known as "Manhattan aan de Maas" and there are plans to construct new tall buildings. The "White House" build in 1898 was the first European sky scratcher topping 45 meters!
The WW2 destruction is symbolized in a statue made by Ossip Zadkine named "De verwoeste Stad" (The destroyed City). It's a human figure without a heart; just the thing that happened to Rotterdam: losing its old town heart.
Rotterdam is called Manhattan at the Maas, but the skyline is still pretty low and Dutch.
Typical Rotterdam things:
-Station Kapsalon or Haaienbek; the new Central train station
-Lijnbaan, the first Dutch car-free shopping area
-De Koopgoot; the Beurstraverse shopping street
-Metro; the first Dutch underground subway system
-Euromast; for the best lookoff to the city
-Blijdorp, the local Zoo
-Kop van Zuid; at the Maas with the Cruise terminal and Hotel New York
-The Rotterdam Marathon; well-known annual sport event
-AHOY; the event complex in the South part of town
-Jules Deelder; Rotterdam's night mayor
-Feyenoord, Sparta and Excelsior; soccer at Rotterdam
The Rotterdam harbour is one of the busiest world ports.
The newest extensions are build into the North Sea.
- Pros:Everything within walking distance
- Cons:Busy highways
- In a nutshell:Manhattan aan de Maas
SUMO is a Sushi and Grill restaurant; part of the Sumo chain. They operate according to an All You Can Eat formula. A... more travel advice
The center of Rotterdam is very walkable. Downloadable free walking routes in Rotterdam. Walking shoes. more travel advice
- See All Café Restaurant and Pop podium
- See All The Koos Speenhoff statue
- See All Jazz at Rotterdam - R'Jam
- See All Potable Water
- See All At the Oude Binnenweg
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 131 Reviews
- 372 Photos
- 139 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (279)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
Photos in RotterdamSee All Photos (372)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 650 reviews, 1929 photos, 36 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 192 reviews, 501 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 467 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues