Saasveld Things to Do Tips by pieter_jan_v
Saasveld Things to Do: 3 reviews and 9 photos
St. Plechelmus church - Saasveld
The St. Plechelmus church is build on the remains of the former Saterslo castle. In the church garden some remains of the old settlement can be found.
The castle owners the van Reede family left Saasveld in 1740 to live in a monastery.
Hereafter the local pastor Frans Davina moved his domicile to nearby Deurningen.
The first church in Saasveld was build in 1820. The present church was designed by architect Herman Kroes and opened in 1926.
Address: Hoflaan 16/18 - 7597 LS Saasveld
Directions: Downtown Saasveld
Molenven - entrance
The Molenven is a 40 hectares sized wetland with fens and surrounding forest. The fens were formed after local farmer digged for peat as a fuel and used grass/clay lumps to build simple sheds.
The area was owned by the van Heek family, who in 1923 gave the grounds to the Natura Docet Museum of Denekamp. Since 1994 the area is managed by the "Landschap Overijssel".
The Molenven is one of the rare forests that are not maintained by men. Dead trees are not removed, but are recycled by nature itself.
A part of the area is a bird sanctuary not open to the public.
Also see my Molenven page.
Address: Bornsestraat/Gravenallee - Saasveld
Directions: Just off the road from Borne to Weerselo
Tile of the mill
Visit the Soaseler Mol; the local windmill.
More in the Soaseler Mol travelogue.
Address: Windmolenweg - 7597 LX Saasveld
Directions: From Saasveld follow the Gravenallee westwards.
More Reviews (8)
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Saasveld Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Saasveld
- Hotels in Saasveld
- Transportation in Saasveld
- Restaurants in Saasveld
- See All...
Explore the World
- Chennai (Madras) Hotels
- Sedona Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- Pachmarhi Hotels
- Salvador da Bahia
- Port Douglas Hotels
Badges & Stats in Saasveld
- 11 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Saasveld?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saasveld
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 418 reviews, 1255 photos, 26 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 511 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 138 reviews, 337 photos, 9 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues