Schiphol Warnings Or Dangers Tips by pieter_jan_v Top 5 Page for this destination
Schiphol Warnings and Dangers: 9 reviews and 12 photos
No smoking at Schiphol Airport
From January 1, 2008 there's a total smoking ban in all public areas of the airport.
Inside the terminal there are a few spots created for smokers at:
- KPN Hotspot cabine
- Networkbar cabine
- Murphy`s bar
- Galaxy bar
- Café Amsterdam
- Het Paleis
Police Office at the Schiphol Plaza
The following is a crime warning issued by the US government:
CRIME: While the rate of violent crime in the Netherlands is low, tourists are occasionally targeted, usually in conjunction with robbery attempts. Visitors to larger cities frequently fall prey to pickpockets, bag snatchers, and other petty thieves. While thieves may operate anywhere, the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam receives frequent reports of thefts from several specific areas:
The train from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam Central Station is particularly plagued by thieves, who often work in pairs. In those instances, one thief distracts the victim, often by asking for directions, while an accomplice moves in on the victim's momentarily unguarded handbag, backpack, or briefcase. The thieves typically time their thefts to coincide with train stops so they may quickly exit.
Within Amsterdam, thieves are very active in and around the Central Train Station, the WTC/Zuid Train/Tram Station, the red light district, in restaurants, hotels, and on public transportation, especially trams 1, 2, and 5 between the Central Station and the Museum District.
Throughout the Netherlands, thefts of bicycles and of personal belongings (such as briefcases and computer bags) from automobiles are very common.
Personal Note: Many pickpockets operate in organised small groups and travel from one European city to another. See also my Amsterdam Warning for Pickpocking Tip.
Other Contact: Railwaycrime: +31-30-2353100
Phone: 112 or +31-20-603-8111
Before you depart there is a strict security check.
Count on half a hour delay for the body and hand luggage check.
BTW Carrying scissors in handluggage is forbidden!
Schiphol is very creative in the unlikely cases leaks develope in the roofs.
Plants are put below the leaks, until maintenance has fixed the problem.
Schiphol Trolley Warning Sign
There are luggage trolleys available for free throughout the terminal.
The push bars releases the brakes.
Please apply the breakes on the moving escalator and walkways!
Maximum load = 39 kg.
Keep a safe distance of at least 1 meter to other passengers to allow enough reaction time when leaving the escalators or walkways.
More Reviews (95)
- See All NS Highspeed lounge
- See All Meditation Centre
- See All Noodles
- See All Schiphol Supermarket
- See All 2 minutes from the Terminal building
- See All Panorama Terrace
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Schiphol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schiphol Amsterdam Airport - AMS"
- "Mainport NL, flying in (and out) at Schiphol"
- "Planes and Trains"
- "Schiphol in 1995 and 2011..."
- "An airport with green pretentions"
- "Either for hours or days..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schiphol
- Hotels in Schiphol
- Transportation in Schiphol
- Nightlife in Schiphol
- Restaurants in Schiphol
- Shopping in Schiphol
- Warnings and Dangers in Schiphol
- See All...
Explore the World
- Loei Hotels
- Porto Cristo
- Kalapana Hotels
- Port Hope Hotels
- Ginghamsburg Hotels
- Beware Pickpockets
- Almaty Warnings and Dangers
- Antigua and Barbuda Warnings and Dangers
- Safety in Ottawa
- Nicaragua Warnings and Dangers
- Czech Republic Warnings and Dangers
- Zagreb Warnings and Dangers
- Isla Holbox Warnings and Dangers
- Grand Canyon Warnings and Dangers
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Warnings and Dangers
- Makati Warnings and Dangers
- SAFE LOCAL TRAVEL
Badges & Stats in Schiphol
- 100 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 48 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Schiphol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schiphol
Photos in SchipholSee All Photos (248)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 418 reviews, 1255 photos, 26 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 511 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 138 reviews, 337 photos, 9 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
Latest Schiphol hotel reviews
- Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- 460 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel & Conference Center
- 425 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Mercure Schiphol Terminal
- 2 Reviews & Opinions