"Uithoorn" Uithoorn by pieter_jan_v
Uithoorn Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 33 photos
Uithoorn is a village just South of Amsterdam at the border of the Amstel river. When you enter the village from Amstelveen you see blocks of appartment buildings. Luckely there is more beside these highrisers.
Uithoorn (Outer Corner) dates from the Middle Ages. It was a piece of land between the Zijdelmeer lake and the Amstel river. The marshes South of Amsterdam were used for peat digging and many lakes were created in this way. In the 18th and 19th century the lakes were transformed into polders, like the Bovenkerkerpolder, the Thamerbinnenpolder the Noorder Legmeer and the Zuider Legmeer. Farming developped the area.
Connections to Uithoorn improved in 1915 with a railroad from Haarlem to Nieuwersluis and in 1942 with the road from Haarlem to Hilversum.
After the second World War Uithoorn developped fast pushed by the economical growth of the South Amsterdam region (Shiphol Airport and Aalsmeer flowers). In 50 years the numbers of inhabitants quadrupled to almost 30.000.
- Pros:Still an oasis at the Amstel river
- Cons:Pressure of the ever growing regional growth
- In a nutshell:The outer corner of the South Amsterdam region
CERES is a shop in sexond had goods run by volunteers. Opening hours: Mo-Tu: 10:30AM - 4:30PM We: Closed Th-Fr: 10:30AM... more travel advice
Friends is a small cafetaria with personal service. It's small but very welcoming. Last time I visited I got a great... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Uithoorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under the smoke of Amsterdam"
- "Egon's Uithoorn page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uithoorn
- Hotels in Uithoorn
- Transportation in Uithoorn
- Restaurants in Uithoorn
- Shopping in Uithoorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uithoorn
- 11 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Uithoorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uithoorn
Photos in UithoornSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 536 reviews, 1638 photos, 33 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 172 reviews, 457 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues