"ULTRAJECTUM (as the Romans called it)" Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht by pieter_jan_v
Utrecht Travel Guide: 632 reviews and 1,496 photos
Utrecht started as a Roman fortress in 50 AC at the bank of the Rhine river. The simple wooden and earth fortification was part of the so called Limes, the boundary of the Roman Empire. The limes now are being displayed in the Utrecht pavement at a number of streets.
Till 270 AC the settlement was rebuild and strengthed a number of times. After the Romans retreated the Frisians and the Franks had many battles over the control of the Trecht stronghold.
In 690 the Anglo-Saksian missionary and bishop Willibrord came to Utrecht and grounded a religeous centre and started the construction af two churches. In later centuries these became the Dom church, the St. Salvator church with in between the chapel of the Holy Cross.
From the seventh century Catholic bishops controlled Utrecht, a number of times interrupted by invading Vikings.
From the tenth century the bishop power increased and he ruled as a King over the area called Het Sticht. Craftsmen and traders grew in numbers and Utrecht became an economical important place.
In the eleventh century three more churches and a abby were builded and two palaces were constructed.
Utrecht got its town right at June 2, 1122 with a confirmation by Emperor Hendrik V. Utrecht now became a real town with more rights and power for its inhabitants. The construction of a city wall started.
During the Middle Ages Utrecht became less powerful by influence of the neighbouring Holland and Gelre. In the city people were in favor for one of these , so there was much rivalry. Six cityfires made things worse.
In 1304 the craftmen, organised in their "Gildes", gained more power in the the local government. They did so for 200 years in which the DOM tower construction was started.
In the sixteenth century Utrecht was the biggest city of the Northern Netherlands and as such had most power in the "Staten", the government of the Netherlands.
For the next 150 years Utrecht was home to painters like Jan van Scorel.
Till the nineteenth century power shifted a couple of times, influences by Spanish and French occupations. The University of Utrecht was founded and opened at March 26,1636.
Utrecht grew as a central Dutch city with the most important railroad connection point of the country.
Nowadays 300.000 people live in the town and twice the number in the surrounding area.
- Pros:Walkable and interesting center
- Cons:Crowded and busy intersection of highways and railroads
- In a nutshell:Center of the Netherlands
O'Leary'r Irish Pub is a true pub and restaurant. Sports like Dutch football, English football, Rugby and F1 are... more travel advice
Fancy woman's lingerie? Have a look inside Olijf. You will not be disappointed. Also for swim wear. more travel advice
- See All Jelling Rune stone
- See All Exploring the Oude Gracht canal
- See All CONSTRUCTION TIME
- BiCYCLE PARKING
Written Feb 24, 2005
a mini-mini-mini-tiny VT-meeting at 11-1-2005
Written Jun 18, 2010
Meeting Who??? November 18, 2007
Written Dec 5, 2012
SINTERKLAAS VT-meeting December 5, 2012 part 1
Written May 2, 2013
SINTERKLAAS VT-meeting December 5, 2012 part 2
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Utrecht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Utrecht - superb city to live in and/or to explore"
- "ULTRAJECTUM (as the Romans called it)"
- "As It Turned Out - Well Worth A Visit AND Now Two!"
- "Right in the middle."
- "Back in town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Utrecht
- Hotels in Utrecht
- Transportation in Utrecht
- Nightlife in Utrecht
- Restaurants in Utrecht
- Shopping in Utrecht
- Warnings and Dangers in Utrecht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utrecht
- 71 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 80 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Utrecht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utrecht
Photos in UtrechtSee All Photos (176)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 458 reviews, 1392 photos, 28 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 151 reviews, 395 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
Latest Utrecht hotel reviews
- Golden Tulip Utrecht
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Karel V Utrecht
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Apollo Hotel Utrecht
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hostel B&B Utrecht City Center
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Strowis Budget Hostel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Park Plaza Utrecht
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Carlton President Hotel
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Court Hotel City Centre Utrecht
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 14, 2013
- NH Utrecht
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Mitland
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- NH Centre Utrecht
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Little Siam Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Ibis Utrecht
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013