"ULTRAJECTUM (as the Romans called it)" Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht by pieter_jan_v
Utrecht Travel Guide: 668 reviews and 1,613 photos
Utrecht started as a Roman fortress in 50 AC at the bank of the Rhine river. The simple wooden and earth fortification was part of the so called Limes, the boundary of the Roman Empire. The limes now are being displayed in the Utrecht pavement at a number of streets.
Till 270 AC the settlement was rebuild and strengthed a number of times. After the Romans retreated the Frisians and the Franks had many battles over the control of the Trecht stronghold.
In 690 the Anglo-Saksian missionary and bishop Willibrord came to Utrecht and grounded a religeous centre and started the construction af two churches. In later centuries these became the Dom church, the St. Salvator church with in between the chapel of the Holy Cross.
From the seventh century Catholic bishops controlled Utrecht, a number of times interrupted by invading Vikings.
From the tenth century the bishop power increased and he ruled as a King over the area called Het Sticht. Craftsmen and traders grew in numbers and Utrecht became an economical important place.
In the eleventh century three more churches and a abby were builded and two palaces were constructed.
Utrecht got its town right at June 2, 1122 with a confirmation by Emperor Hendrik V. Utrecht now became a real town with more rights and power for its inhabitants. The construction of a city wall started.
During the Middle Ages Utrecht became less powerful by influence of the neighbouring Holland and Gelre. In the city people were in favor for one of these , so there was much rivalry. Six cityfires made things worse.
In 1304 the craftmen, organised in their "Gildes", gained more power in the the local government. They did so for 200 years in which the DOM tower construction was started.
In the sixteenth century Utrecht was the biggest city of the Northern Netherlands and as such had most power in the "Staten", the government of the Netherlands.
For the next 150 years Utrecht was home to painters like Jan van Scorel.
Till the nineteenth century power shifted a couple of times, influences by Spanish and French occupations. The University of Utrecht was founded and opened at March 26,1636.
Utrecht grew as a central Dutch city with the most important railroad connection point of the country.
Nowadays 300.000 people live in the town and twice the number in the surrounding area.
Yves Rocher sells perfumes, make-up, cosmetics, hair products, health products and luxery gifts. Business hours: Mo:... more travel advice
Baby Milk Powder is a big business after a number a scandales in China. Chinese customers are looking to alternatives... more travel advice
- See All Sint Elisabeth Gasthuis
- See All Jelling Rune stone
- See All CONSTRUCTION TIME
- See All Utrecht buses (Public Transportation)
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Utrecht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Utrecht - superb city to live in and/or to explore"
- "ULTRAJECTUM (as the Romans called it)"
- "As It Turned Out - Well Worth A Visit AND Now Two!"
- "Right in the middle."
- "Back in town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Utrecht
- Hotels in Utrecht
- Transportation in Utrecht
- Nightlife in Utrecht
- Restaurants in Utrecht
- Shopping in Utrecht
- Warnings and Dangers in Utrecht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utrecht
- 83 Reviews
- 201 Photos
- 88 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (292)
Have you been to Utrecht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utrecht
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: Best centrally located hotel?"
- created a Utrecht Travelogue "Utrecht reflected on record covers"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Utrecht reflected on record covers"
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Utrecht tips
- Wrote a Review Beauty products and cosmetics about Hoog Catarijne in Utrecht Shopping
Photos in UtrechtSee All Photos (201)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1956 photos, 38 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 633 photos, 23 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 622 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 201 reviews, 549 photos, 9 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 470 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues