London Shopping Tips by pieter_jan_v
London Shopping: 1,046 reviews and 1,396 photos
On the Beat Record Shop - London
On the Beat is an amazing shop when you look for exotic vinyl.
I easily could have spend a 100 Pounds on all those great records I saw there.
And I'm talking about the documentary, TV & movies and adjacent sections in the back of the shop.
The entrance and the front part of the shop are very small and the back just gives some more room.
The walls are covered with music related newspapers cuttings, topped with many collectors items.
You must ask for specific items, because it's all there: the records you never saw before.
2013 update: Thanks to this Misc Forum Thread I learned that owner Tim Derbyshire after 35 years put up his business put up for sale on eBay for £300,000.
What to buy: Vinyl albums.
What to pay: Rare albums from 10 Pounds and up.
Address: 22 Hanway St - Bloomsbury - London W1T 1UQ
Directions: Hanway is a small N sideway at the start of Oxford street.
Nearest tube station: Tottenham Court Road
The original Oxford St shop (at 363)
The trouble with not visiting London for 25 years is that all major shops are still there, but have been moved or renamed.
For me HMV was a 4 story shop at the Southside of Oxford street (with vinyl at the time, haha).
Well, welcome to 2009 London with HMV at these downtown locations:
-150 Oxford St
-360 Oxford St
-18 Coventry St
-40-42 King St
-1 Whittington Av
-332-334 Norwich Rd
The shop at 150 Oxford St is the biggest, with a huge classic department and many books too.
Mo-We: 9AM - 8.30PM
We: 9AM - 8.30PM
Th: 9AM - 9PM
Fr-Sa: 9AM - 8.30PM
Su: 11.30AM - 5.30PM
My personal tip: Discount merchandise (especially books) is in much better shape at the 360 Oxford St shop.
2013 Update: The HMV Flagship store will return to the original location at 363 Oxford Street.
What to buy: CD's, T-shirts, books and more.
What to pay: From 5 pound per CD.
Address: 150 Oxford Street - London W1D 1DJ
Directions: Oxford circus (corner Poland St) for the biggest store.
Phone: 0845 602 7800
West Cornwall Pasty
I still don't know why I was not tempted to buy a pasty here.
Oh well, next time.
They sure look delicious!
Directions: 18 shops in the Greater London Area
Phone: 01844 205 100
Theme: Food and Drink
Former Borders - Oxford Street
Borders is probably the biggest bookstore chain in Greater london. It's N-American based.
2010 Update: It's seems that Borders CLOSED!
Often their shops are combined with a small Starbucks coffee.
The biggest stores are at:
203 Oxford Street
120 Charing Cross Road
What to buy: Books (and an occasional CD) and magazines.
James Smith and Sons
The James Smith and Sons Umbrella Shop was founded in 1830 and is still owned and run as a family business.
The store is a real gem in between the more modern appereance of the others around.
Address: Hazelwood House, 53 New Oxford Street - London WC1
Directions: Nearest tube: Tottenham Court Road Underground station.
Neil's Yard entrance from Shorts Gardens
In search for Rough Trade Records I discovered that the shop at 16 Neal's Yard is closed; their website is still alive!
2010 Update: Rough Trade is back (and I still have to check out both shops!):
Rough Trade East-'Dray Walk'-Old Truman Brewery-91 Brick Lane-London E1 6QL
Rough Trade West-130 Talbot Road-London W11 1JA
Nonetheless, visiting Neil's Yard was a nice thing to do. There are interesting businesses around, like:
-Neal's Yard Salad Bar at #2
-Neal's Yard Therapy Room at #2
-Neal's Yard Bakery & Tearoom at #6
-Nails By Baptiste at #8
-Hair By Fairy at #10
-The Walk-in Backrub at #14
-Neal's Yard Remedies at #15
-Slam City Skates at #16
Theme: Food and Drink
Spitalfields Market - London
Spitalfields Maket is a larged covered area with shops and bar/restaurants at the sides.
Market is held at the court area according the following schedule:
Th: Antiques & vintage 10AM - 4PM
Fr: Fashion & art 10AM - 4PM
Su: Various 9AM - 5PM
Daily: 11AM - 7PM
Mo-Fr: 9AM - 11PM
Su: 9AM - 5PM
Address: Spitalfields Market - London E1
Directions: 500 meters East of Liverpool Street station.
Spitalfields Music stall
At Spitalfieldsmarket you can find music stalls as well, especial when you visit at the first and third Wednesday of the months at the records & books fair.
Address: Spitalfields - London E1 6BG
Directions: Spitalfields Market; 500 meters East of Liverpool Street station.
Reckless Records is a small clean shop with vinyl records of all musical genres from the fifties through the seventies.
Mo-Sa: 10AM - 6:30PM
Address: 30 Berwick St - Soho - London W1F 8RH
Directions: Side street of Oxford St (Opposite Sister Ray shop)
Petticoat Lane Street Market
The Petticoat Lane Street Market is the place to go to look for a deal in clothing.
This East End market has been held since the 1750's.
Mo-Fr: 10AM - 2.30PM
Su: 9AM - 2PM
What to buy: Clothes.
What to pay: Lower prices than in the shops.
Address: Middlesex Street - London E1
Directions: Closest tubes: Liverpool Street and Aldgate East
Theme: Women's Clothes
More Reviews (107)
- See All General warnings, part 2
- See All The last remaining Music Hall
- See All Trinity Place
- Thames Path National Trail
- See All Eurostar Train
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 147 Reviews
- 548 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: atlantic ocean"
- Commented on one of DAO's London travelogues
- updated a London Travel Page "Good Old London"
- Commented on the London travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "Family restaurant at Spitalfields"
- Wrote a Review General warnings, part 2 in London Warnings and Dangers
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (548)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 499 reviews, 1522 photos, 30 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 417 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 158 reviews, 419 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (206)
- Tower of London- 463 Reviews, 763 Photos
- British Museum- 296 Reviews, 528 Photos
- London Eye- 265 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Buckingham Palace.- 397 Reviews, 659 Photos
- Westminster Abbey- 259 Reviews, 446 Photos
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben- 374 Reviews, 630 Photos
- Other Museums and Galleries- 265 Reviews, 584 Photos
- Piccadilly Circus- 179 Reviews, 263 Photos
- Camden Town, Lock and Market.- 101 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Hyde Park- 168 Reviews, 306 Photos
See All London Things to Do