"Évora" Évora by pieter_jan_v
Évora Travel Guide: 424 reviews and 1,500 photos
Évora's history started BC. The Lusitanians made it their Capital and named it Ebora after the ivory workers that settled here.
In 57 BC the Romans conquered the town and built walls around it.
The city grew in importance because it was located at a crosspoint of trade routes. The Corinthian temple in the centre of the town, erected in honour of emperor Augustus dates from the 1st century.
After the fall of the Roman Empire Barbaroans onvaded the area and in 584 the city came under the rule of the Visigothic king Leovirgild.
In 715 the city was conquered by Moors under Tariq ibn-Ziyad, who called it Yeborah. During the Moorisch period the town prospered again and developed into an agricultural centre with a fortress and a mosque.
In 1165 the town was conquered through a surprise attack by Gerald the Fearless (Geraldo Sem Pavor). In 1166 the town came under the rule of the Portuguese king Afonso I.
Évora became a major centre and got a Palace, Cathedral and a Jesuit University. In the 18th century the Jesuits were expelled from Portugal and the university was closed. It lasted till 1973 untill it was reopened.
- Pros:Much history at one spot
- Cons:2 hours travel from Lisbon
- In a nutshell:A gem in East Portugal
The Cromlech dos Almendres Magalitic site is hidden in the woods West of Évora. You need a taxi or car to go there. This... more travel advice
The Templo de Diana or Temple of Diana was built the 2nd century AD. It says that the building was devoted to the Roman... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Évora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liberalitas Julia vs Yeborah"
- "a great excursion from Lisbon"
- "Crossroad of cultures!"
- "A MUST see if you are in Portugal!"
- "Evora - A UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Évora
- Hotels in Évora
- Transportation in Évora
- Nightlife in Évora
- Restaurants in Évora
- Shopping in Évora
- Warnings and Dangers in Évora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Évora
- 27 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Évora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Évora
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Évora Travel Page "Évora"
- Commented on one of rafi.of.gali.gali's Évora travel pages
- Wrote a Review Megalithica Ebora; Cromlech dos Almendres about Outside Evora in Évora Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Megalithica Ebora; Cromlech dos Almendres"
Photos in ÉvoraSee All Photos (146)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 536 reviews, 1638 photos, 33 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 174 reviews, 461 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues