"The Dead Sea ..." Dead Sea by pieter_jan_v
Dead Sea Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 27 photos
The Dead Sea is a border lake between Israel, the West Bank and Jordan.
In Hebrew it is known as Yām HamMā́weṯ (The Sea of Death), in Arabic it's called al-Baḥr al-Mayyit (The Sea of Salt). The high salinity percentage of 33.7% makes these waters unfit for any animal life. The Dead See altitude of -423 meters below sea level makes it the lowest open elevation on the globe.
The Dead Sea is 67 kilometres long, 18 kilometres and 377 meters deep.
Although there is no life in the water, the sea is a supplier of health products like skin curing and care ones.
The average air temperature at the Dead Sea is 40°C with a 40% humidity.
Three million years ago the Dead Sea still was connected with the Mediterranean Sea and through the course of time a 3 km salt layer was deposited in what then was known as Lake Sedom.
Two million years ago the land around the bay rose and the body of water got seperated from the Mediterranean Sea. This lake -called Lake Amora- was much bigger than the present Dead Sea and extended to the South. Through time water evaporated due to climate changes. The resulting smaller lake was called Lake Lisan with it's level at about -200 meters. That level changed rapidly some 11.000 years ago to a lower level than the present - 423 meters.
- Pros:Good for a perfect skin
- In a nutshell:Sea of Life
If you want to have a real skin treat, buy some Dead Sea mud and apply it the your skin. more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Dead Sea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Dead Sea ..."
- "Dead Sea, a recent VT addition"
- "Trip with NCC / Omega : The Wilderness"
- "Mineral Baths, Floating on a Salty Sea, Mud"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dead Sea
- 3 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Dead Sea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dead Sea
Photos in Dead SeaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 535 reviews, 1623 photos, 31 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 172 reviews, 455 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 463 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues