"Bad Aachen" Aachen by pieter_jan_v
Aachen Travel Guide: 502 reviews and 1,205 photos
The name Aachen derives from the Frankish word AHHA, meaning water.
The hot springs were already worshipped by the Celts to honour their God Grannus, the God of Healing and Water.
When King Charlemagne came in control in 768AD Aachen really started to become a city with the building of the palace. Charlemagne died in 824 and was buried in the Cathedral, which became a place for pilgrimage in the centuries thereafter.
The Holy Roman emperors were crowned at Aachen from 813 to 1531.
In 1353 the town hall was built on the ruins of Charlemagne's palace.
During the German Reformation in the 16th century the city was lutes and some 4000 home burned to the ground in the big city fire.
In 1801 Aachen became a part of France during the French. After the defeat of Napoleon in 1815, Aachen was acquired by Prussia at the Congress of Aachen at 1818. The nearby coalmines became an important factor for the local industry.
The city was badly damaged in WW II and nowadays you'll find a mix of old and new buildings in the center.
- Pros:At the corner with Belgium and the Netherlands
- Cons:The smell of the hot water springs
- In a nutshell:A city with a 200 year history
In Aachen is a lot to discover. Not only all the fountains, the walls of the old houses have many surprises. more travel advice
The Municipal Theatre is a great building with its classic facade. more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Aachen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Kings and Thermal Baths"
- "Karnival and Charlemagnia"
- "Singing in the reign . . ."
- "Aachen - City of Coronations and Cakes!"
- "Aachen - City of Charlemagne"
- "The city of Aachen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aachen
- Hotels in Aachen
- Transportation in Aachen
- Nightlife in Aachen
- Restaurants in Aachen
- Shopping in Aachen
- Warnings and Dangers in Aachen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Aachen
- 14 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Aachen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aachen
Photos in AachenSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 419 reviews, 1263 photos, 26 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 511 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 143 reviews, 367 photos, 9 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
Latest Aachen hotel reviews
- Sofitel Aachen Quellenhof
- 149 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Mercure Hotel Aachen Am Graben
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- City Apartments Regence
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2011
- Hotel Brulls am Dom
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2012
- Art Hotel Superior
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Hotel Marx
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 27, 2012
- Hotel Hesse
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Ibis Aachen Normaluhr
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Holiday Inn Aachen
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Hotel Drei Konige
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Ibis Aachen Marschiertor
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Mercure Aachen City
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Novotel Aachen City
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013