"AHAUS ..." Ahaus by pieter_jan_v
Ahaus Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 36 photos
In 1030 for the first time "The House at the Aa" was named in official documents. In the 14th century the town got its city rights.
In 1406 the area came under control of the Bishop of Münster.
In 1653 the first German Porcellan factory was opened, but it was in operation for just 4 years.
In 1688 the old castle was replaced by a new castle in Barock style with waterways, that was finalized in 1690. In 1718 the adjacent gardens were completed.
In 1803 The castle became in hands of the Kings of Salm and got annexed by the French in 1810. In 1813 it changed again into Preusian hands.
In 1829 Hermann Oldenkott from Amsterdam bought the castle and started a tabacco factory in its buildings.
In 1863 Ahaus was hit hard by a city fire that destroyed the complete city.
In 1883 the clothing industry started at Ahaus.
In WWII the Castle was bombed and destroyed, but was rebuild in 1949.
Ahaus forms one area with the surrounding towns Alstätte, Graes, Ottenstein, Wessum and Wüllen.
- In a nutshell:Hidden spot for walking and cycling
Ahaus and surroundings are great to cycle. At the local tourrist office several cycling routes are available. Bicycle more travel advice
The Kurfürsten-Grill Imbiß is a snackbar with a wide variety of snacks. On the menu are Grill specialities, Schnitzel... more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Ahaus Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ahaus
- 12 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (288)
Have you been to Ahaus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ahaus
Photos in AhausSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 655 reviews, 1951 photos, 37 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1238 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 620 photos, 23 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 199 reviews, 540 photos, 9 travelogues
- Aachen Intro, 198 reviews, 533 photos, 10 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 469 photos, 9 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 182 reviews, 365 photos, 8 travelogues