"Stadt and Bundesland" Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen by pieter_jan_v
Bremen Travel Guide: 420 reviews and 1,095 photos
Bremen is one of the Hanseatic Cities and together with Bremerhaven forming the smalles independent state of the Federal Republic of Germany.
According to the text on the picture Bremen was founded by fishermen who called this location BRIMUN.
The city's history goes back to the year 800 when it was an early centre of the Christian missions to North and Northeast Europe. The city became the seat of a bishopric in 787. In 965 Bremen was granted market rights by Emperor Otto I and Archbishop Adaldag. From that time trade increased over the Weser river to the Northsea and beyond.
The city always stayed independent, symbolized by the Gothic statue of Roland erected in 1404.
In 1646 the city attained "Reichsunmittelbarkeit" status, making it subject to none but the Emperor, and in 1806 it became a Free Hanseatic City.
- Pros:Great for shopping, sightseeing and more
- In a nutshell:A country in one town
The Sögestrasse is the obvious street going from the Marktplatz to the train station. It still has some of the... more travel advice
The Lloyds Passage is a covered walkway with shops and cafe's at either side. more travel advice
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Bremen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bremen - I feel this city"
- "Bremen - the city of the musicians"
- "Bremen - A World Heritage site"
- "In Bremen - briefly"
- "Stadt and Bundesland"
- "Bremen - more to see than the Town Musicians!"
- "Home of Krauser Becks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bremen
- Hotels in Bremen
- Transportation in Bremen
- Nightlife in Bremen
- Restaurants in Bremen
- Shopping in Bremen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bremen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bremen
- 22 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (270)
Have you been to Bremen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bremen
Photos in BremenSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 538 reviews, 1644 photos, 34 travelogues
- London Intro, 308 reviews, 1237 photos, 17 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 186 reviews, 486 photos, 9 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 184 reviews, 419 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 131 reviews, 465 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 181 reviews, 360 photos, 7 travelogues