"Hallo all VT-friends" pieter_jan_v's Profile

Welcome to my VT-home page

Hallo explorers,

Take some time to go through my pages. You find some old ones of travels I made at least 30 years ago, but the majority of my pages is younger and I take great value in keeping the information up-to-date.

My attic is loaded with stuff from old trips and there is a lot to scan. I have to redo some old-VT pages; it's just a matter of time.

Enjoy the pictures (credits to my wife and son).

I love to read the ongoing VT-Forum discussions and like to help you whenever possible.

My profession is in electronics, I'm an engineer working with radar and infra-red equipment all over the world. Most of my faraway trips are business related.

My hobby is grammophone record collecting (see below) and I change my VT-motto often with some travel lyrics.

ENJOY YOUR TRAVEL!

The Amsterdam Tip Grouper /Forum Historian

I am the Amsterdam Travel Editor (former Tip Grouper) and that keeps me busy too. Don't be surprised if I leave some comment at your fresh created Amsterdam-page.

I also answer most Amsterdam questions at the travel forum. Here are some of my Frequently Given Links:
Our Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Travel Guide

I AMsterdam
Amsterdam hostels
Amsterdam hotspots
Amsterdam Public Transport website
Everything about the "OV-chipkaart"
Printable map of Amsterdam

If you come to Holland by airplane check out my Schiphol page first.

VT member Rob "Photoshop" Davis appointed me Official VT Forum Historian. Well, I keep some old stuff that cannot be retrieved with the present keywords search and above all, I treasure the THING posting.

VT-Meetings

VT-meetings are fun. Ever since I went to Belgium to have my first meeting with kiwi and RENE_CARDOEN I became more involved in VT-meetings.

Follow my trail of VT-meetings from 2002
(Brussels Rotterdam Rotterdam Eindhoven).

Start the trail at 2003
(Amsterdam Haarlem Rotterdam Maastricht Vaals Groningen Toronto Mayport Toronto Amsterdam).

Start the trail at 2004
(Apeldoorn Amsterdam Antwerp Lier Breda Middelburg Aachen Breda).

Start the trail at 2005
(Utrecht Amsterdam Vondelpark Giethoorn Breda Breda Kasteel-Bouvigne Antwerp Maastricht Amsterdam).

Start the trail at 2006
(Haaksbergen Hoog-Soeren Antwerp Middelburg Brielle Amsterdam Hoog-Soeren Antwerp Amsterdam Toronto Halifax).

Start the trail at 2007
(Amsterdam Ieper Deventer Hengelo Toronto Toronto Maastricht Utrecht).

Start the trail at 2008
(Hengelo Hengelo Amsterdam Halifax Toronto Karlsruhe Speyer Karlsruhe Amsterdam Brussels).

Start the trail at 2009
(London Amsterdam Arnhem Kortrijk Cascais Cascais Cascais Belém Lisbon Sintra Cabo da Roca Estoril Cascais Cascais Evora Cascais Cascais Cascais Rotterdam Carp Ottawa Maastricht Amsterdam).

Start the trail at 2010
(Amsterdam Krakow Wieliczka Krakow Oldenzaal London Halifax[Virtual X-mas party]).

Start the trail at 2011
(LA[Virtual Barney awards party] Ottawa Hengelo Amsterdam Paris Ottawa).

Start the trail at 2012
(Amsterdam Richmond Dartmouth Bergamo Tel_Aviv Bat_Yam Beersheba Dead_Sea Arad Bet_Eshel Herzliyya_B Tel-Aviv Antwerp Utrecht).

Start the trail at 2013
(Leiden Arnhem Amsterdam).

I also have many near misses. Somehow you try to meet, but it can be hard to get schedules lined up. Never mind, you can send things by mail or have them hand carried by other VT-members!

VT-Mail

Not only attending a VT-meeting is fun, getting a postcard cramped with members names is something to be surprised with!

Thanks to my close VT-friends!!!

My real hobby RECORD COLLECTING

I'm collecting rare and strange grammophone records.
Please help me find addresses of second hand shops which carry old grammophone records (vinyl ones!).
I'm looking for flexible, 45 and 33 RPM discs in NON-mainstream section such as Sound Effects, Documentary, Easy Listening, Moog, Electronic, Test & Demo, X-mas, Animal Sounds, Advertisement/Product Music/Commercial, Library, Muzak, Instrumental, Radio/TV/Movies, Cartoons, Instructional, Aerobics, Celebrity Vocal and ALL OTHER STRANGE RECORDS.

Check out this French Language Record. It's a carbon based flexible one!

My favorite book

I bought "The Story of Maps" by Lloyd A. Brown in 1987 and ever since it has its own place at my nightstand. I love technical books; novels are not among my favorites.
It's great to read about the first navigators that explored the other continents and before that how the Ancient World was explored.

I have a more recent book called "Navigation" with all the algorythms for space travel. I love to read that one too

From the VT vaults: THING

It all started at: Wednesday April 25, 2001 at 12:36:36 with the following posting by shawn_seidel: Peru: thing

Q: What is peru like there

A: thing? (giampiero6)

A: thing! (utttz)

A: thing. (beav)

A: thing...... (wheretonext)

A: THING! (giampiero6)

A: No-thing in Peru. There is no there there. (dutch_anna)

A: I think he meant thing like thing, as in thing, you know? (wheretonext)

A: Oh, yes, of course, now I understand! (dutch_anna)

A: Huh? (daarth)

A: this conversation has lost me, what am i missing? (LES_GRAY)

A: Oh, they are just at the usual....discussing anything (daarth)

A: why didn't the < b > work... anything any thingjust playing...don't look. (daarth)

A: Huuuuh??????? Which thing??? (lisaatje1)

A: for sure your missing a THING! (utttz)

A: I tried very hard, but it's realy hard to make a good joke of this thing(daarth)

A: Don't worry, you will catch up :-))))). (lisaatje1)

A: Eureka!!!!! I know were you can find the thing!!!! I even know were you can buy the THING! http://www.thethingshop.com/ There you go! (daarth)

A: how much for a simple thing? (utttz)

A: maybe it's a sound like "tinggg" (dantes2)

A: Which thing are you talking about? The thing in that circular thing? Or the thing sitting in the thing within that town with the weird looking thing? Is it a thing in the North? Or a thing in the south? SOME thing or ANY thing? Has a word ever started sounding weird to you when you say it too much? As if it loses all meaning and coherence? Thing thing thing thing... (TrueBeliever)

A: just a simple thing... simple things are better :-) (utttz)

A: Meaning of life- Simple things;o) (TrueBeliever)

A: yes, but it may refer to a very profound existential truth.... (dantes2)

A: Very profound existential truth- Simple things are the meaning of life... (TrueBeliever)

A: yeah lot of thing, everything is nothing like something, or something what did I do? (lavep)

Well, you get it: Starting a forum THING never ends.....

More old VT stuff

The first VT meeting facility

• Intro Updated Feb 8, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

pieter_jan_v

“Are you ready boots? Start Walking (from These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra)”

Real Name