"San Marino" San Marino by mccalpin
San Marino Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 424 photos
San Marino is a small but independent country in the eastern part of Italy.
According to the CIA Factbook, San Marino is about 61 square kilometers and has a population just under 29,000 people.
Over 50% of San Marino's economy is derived from tourism. Yep, there's not much going on otherwise.
When I was there in 1977 or so, the big business was selling ornate and colorful visa stamps for your passport - no, visas are not required to enter San Marino (unless you needed one to enter Italy), but since most people never get to San Marino, the visa stamps are a little rare...
San Marino is really a sandstone ridge in the eastern part of central Italy. That is, much of the country sits above neighboring Italy, as if much of the country is a medieval castle.
The architecture of San Marino plays on this.
It also makes for some great weather - the time I visited, a thunderstorm rolling over the Italian countryside ran into San Marino at eye level - it was cool (and loud) being inside a thunderstorm(!)
- Pros:Quaint little place
- Cons:not a lot to see
- In a nutshell:Off the beaten path for most tourists
San Marino is NOT on the Italian Trenitalia system. Instead, you have to go to a nearby city like Rimini, and take a... more travel advice
mccalpin's Related Pages
San Marino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Marino – the Tiny Capital of the Tiny Republic"
- "San Marino: ancient land of liberty"
- "City of San Marino"
- "Historical centre"
- "San Marino"
- "San Marino – The oldest Republic in the World"
- "Medeval Republic of San Marino"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Marino
- Hotels in San Marino
- Transportation in San Marino
- Restaurants in San Marino
- Shopping in San Marino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Marino
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to San Marino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Marino
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Richardson Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vatican City Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castel Gandolfo Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 2 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Munich Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olympia Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxembourg Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues