Rome Restaurant Tips by mccalpin
Rome Restaurants: 1,196 reviews and 1,250 photos
Piazza Navona as seen from Tre Scalini
A romantic time in Rome itself...hmmmmn...I would make it part of an evening.
One afternoon, after your siesta, when you're done window shopping and all, wander over to the Pantheon and admire it inside and out. Then as darkness falls, go over to Piazza Navona. Make the circle around the whole piazza arm in arm, like other couples. You may see kiosks set up to sell stuff, you may see artists selling caricatures, you will definitely see lots of other people seeing and being seen - it's a car free zone (except for the lone police car that wanders slowly through).
When you've done a circuit or two admiring the fountain of four rivers and the buildings around the Piazza, sit in the bar next to Tre Scalini (it may be Tre Scalini's bar, I don't remember). Tre Scalini is a long time restaurant that all Romans know (even if they don't go) on the west side of the piazza.
Tell the waiter that you would like a drink, and that you would like to have dinner inside afterwards. If you can, sit outside with your drink and your better half, and admire all the people walking by. This evening promenade is quintissentially Mediterranean.
When you're ready (or the waiter comes to tell your that the best table - in the window - is ready), go into the restaurant and have dinner. It will not be cheap, but, frankly, it's more expensive at trendier places. For dessert, be sure to have tartuffo al cioccolato (sp?), a homemade chocolate bomb that was home-made by this restaurant.
After dinner, make another circuit of the piazza (to aid digestion), then have an after dinner drink at the bar across the piazza (perhaps a shot of Amaretto or Tuaca - Italian servings are not as large as American) or a digestivo - Italians are big into herbed drinks to aid digestion.
Then stagger home. ;-)
Favorite Dish: Tartuffo cioccolato...'nuff said...
Address: Piazza Navona, west side
Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$41 and up
Absolutely none. This is an ordinary, middle class, Roman restaurant which happens to be near Castel Sant'Angelo. However, even though it's near a tourist area, the clientele is mostly Roman off season, and I ate there monthly when I lived in Rome.
Favorite Dish: Anything, but especially pasta. Always drink the house white wine (it's good advice in most restaurants in Rome since the wine comes from the Alban Hills around the city - including Frascati).
Directions: Follow the wall which contains the pedestrian walkway from the Vatican to Casel Sant'Angelo (off limits to you and me - you have to follow it at ground level). Near Castel Sant'Angelo, look north from
Other Contact: I couldn't find a number or a we
More Reviews (41)
- See All Riots in Rome
- See All Excerpt from "Fifteen Weeks to Home"
- See All Drinking water from the fountains
- See All Self-service ticket machines for...
mccalpin's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "The world's biggest open air museum?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 43 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 3,214 Forum posts
- 91 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Illegal Immigrants."
- Commented on the Rome travel guide
- Wrote a Review Riots in Rome in Rome Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Drinking water from the fountains"
- updated a Rome Travel Page "mccalpin's Rome Page"
- Commented on one of shutterlust's Rome travel pages
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Richardson Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vatican City Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castel Gandolfo Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 2 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Munich Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olympia Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxembourg Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (30)
- Colosseum- 494 Reviews, 896 Photos
- Trevi Fountain- 331 Reviews, 544 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 143 Reviews, 272 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 184 Reviews, 301 Photos
- Piazza di Spagna - Spanish Steps- 296 Reviews, 461 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 235 Reviews, 403 Photos
- Villa Borghese- 90 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Vatican Museums - Sistine Chapel- 164 Reviews, 342 Photos
- Pantheon- 265 Reviews, 545 Photos
- Roman Forum- 296 Reviews, 552 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do