Rome Restaurant Tips by mccalpin
Rome Restaurants: 1,186 reviews and 1,231 photos
Piazza Navona as seen from Tre Scalini
A romantic time in Rome itself...hmmmmn...I would make it part of an evening.
One afternoon, after your siesta, when you're done window shopping and all, wander over to the Pantheon and admire it inside and out. Then as darkness falls, go over to Piazza Navona. Make the circle around the whole piazza arm in arm, like other couples. You may see kiosks set up to sell stuff, you may see artists selling caricatures, you will definitely see lots of other people seeing and being seen - it's a car free zone (except for the lone police car that wanders slowly through).
When you've done a circuit or two admiring the fountain of four rivers and the buildings around the Piazza, sit in the bar next to Tre Scalini (it may be Tre Scalini's bar, I don't remember). Tre Scalini is a long time restaurant that all Romans know (even if they don't go) on the west side of the piazza.
Tell the waiter that you would like a drink, and that you would like to have dinner inside afterwards. If you can, sit outside with your drink and your better half, and admire all the people walking by. This evening promenade is quintissentially Mediterranean.
When you're ready (or the waiter comes to tell your that the best table - in the window - is ready), go into the restaurant and have dinner. It will not be cheap, but, frankly, it's more expensive at trendier places. For dessert, be sure to have tartuffo al cioccolato (sp?), a homemade chocolate bomb that was home-made by this restaurant.
After dinner, make another circuit of the piazza (to aid digestion), then have an after dinner drink at the bar across the piazza (perhaps a shot of Amaretto or Tuaca - Italian servings are not as large as American) or a digestivo - Italians are big into herbed drinks to aid digestion.
Then stagger home. ;-)
Favorite Dish: Tartuffo cioccolato...'nuff said...
Address: Piazza Navona, west side
Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$41 and up
Absolutely none. This is an ordinary, middle class, Roman restaurant which happens to be near Castel Sant'Angelo. However, even though it's near a tourist area, the clientele is mostly Roman off season, and I ate there monthly when I lived in Rome.
Favorite Dish: Anything, but especially pasta. Always drink the house white wine (it's good advice in most restaurants in Rome since the wine comes from the Alban Hills around the city - including Frascati).
Directions: Follow the wall which contains the pedestrian walkway from the Vatican to Casel Sant'Angelo (off limits to you and me - you have to follow it at ground level). Near Castel Sant'Angelo, look north from
Other Contact: I couldn't find a number or a we
More Reviews (41)
- See All Riots in Rome
- See All Excerpt from "Fifteen Weeks to Home"
- See All Drinking water from the fountains
- See All Self-service ticket machines for...
mccalpin's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malapascua Island
- Prefecture of Trikala
- Cesme Hotels
- Tacloban City
- Sand Hill Hotels
- Kennebunkport Hotels
- Tracadie Hotels
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 43 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 3,102 Forum posts
- 98 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: Where is the best Italian..."
- Wrote a Review Riots in Rome in Rome Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on the Rome travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "Drinking water from the fountains"
- updated a Rome Travel Page "mccalpin's Rome Page"
- Commented on one of shutterlust's Rome travel pages
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Richardson Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vatican City Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castel Gandolfo Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 2 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Munich Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olympia Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxembourg Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Rome hotel reviews
- Golden Tulip Ambra Palace
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Casa di Sara Bed & Breakfast
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Roma Park Hotel
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Maison Giulia
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Mayfair Residence Apartments
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Forum Hotel
- 351 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel Capital Inn
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013
- Hotel Meridiana
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Hotel Apollo
- 219 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel Orazia
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Nicolas Inn
- 696 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Fontana Hotel
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- St. Moritz
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Summit Roma Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2012
- B&B All'Orologio
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- Colosseum- 490 Reviews, 889 Photos
- Trevi Fountain- 330 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 183 Reviews, 299 Photos
- Roman Forum- 296 Reviews, 552 Photos
- Piazza di Spagna - Spanish Steps- 294 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 141 Reviews, 264 Photos
- Pantheon- 262 Reviews, 530 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 234 Reviews, 401 Photos
- Trajan & Imperial Forums- 90 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Villa Borghese- 89 Reviews, 159 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do