Rome Restaurant Tips by mccalpin
Rome Restaurants: 1,230 reviews and 1,323 photos
Piazza Navona as seen from Tre Scalini
A romantic time in Rome itself...hmmmmn...I would make it part of an evening.
One afternoon, after your siesta, when you're done window shopping and all, wander over to the Pantheon and admire it inside and out. Then as darkness falls, go over to Piazza Navona. Make the circle around the whole piazza arm in arm, like other couples. You may see kiosks set up to sell stuff, you may see artists selling caricatures, you will definitely see lots of other people seeing and being seen - it's a car free zone (except for the lone police car that wanders slowly through).
When you've done a circuit or two admiring the fountain of four rivers and the buildings around the Piazza, sit in the bar next to Tre Scalini (it may be Tre Scalini's bar, I don't remember). Tre Scalini is a long time restaurant that all Romans know (even if they don't go) on the west side of the piazza.
Tell the waiter that you would like a drink, and that you would like to have dinner inside afterwards. If you can, sit outside with your drink and your better half, and admire all the people walking by. This evening promenade is quintissentially Mediterranean.
When you're ready (or the waiter comes to tell your that the best table - in the window - is ready), go into the restaurant and have dinner. It will not be cheap, but, frankly, it's more expensive at trendier places. For dessert, be sure to have tartuffo al cioccolato (sp?), a homemade chocolate bomb that was home-made by this restaurant.
After dinner, make another circuit of the piazza (to aid digestion), then have an after dinner drink at the bar across the piazza (perhaps a shot of Amaretto or Tuaca - Italian servings are not as large as American) or a digestivo - Italians are big into herbed drinks to aid digestion.
Then stagger home. ;-)
Favorite Dish: Tartuffo cioccolato...'nuff said...
Address: Piazza Navona, west side
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$41 and up
Absolutely none. This is an ordinary, middle class, Roman restaurant which happens to be near Castel Sant'Angelo. However, even though it's near a tourist area, the clientele is mostly Roman off season, and I ate there monthly when I lived in Rome.
Favorite Dish: Anything, but especially pasta. Always drink the house white wine (it's good advice in most restaurants in Rome since the wine comes from the Alban Hills around the city - including Frascati).
Directions: Follow the wall which contains the pedestrian walkway from the Vatican to Casel Sant'Angelo (off limits to you and me - you have to follow it at ground level). Near Castel Sant'Angelo, look north from
Other Contact: I couldn't find a number or a we
More Reviews (41)
- See All Riots in Rome
- See All Excerpt from "Fifteen Weeks to Home"
- See All Drinking water from the fountains
- See All Self-service ticket machines for...
mccalpin's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "weekends in Rome"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 43 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 3,314 Forum posts
- 91 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Richardson Intro, 2 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Vatican City Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Castel Gandolfo Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 18 reviews, 2 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Munich Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Olympia Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxembourg Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
- Trevi Fountain - Fontana di Trevi- 341 Reviews, 563 Photos
- Piazza Venezia - Vittoriano- 189 Reviews, 313 Photos
- Colosseum- 492 Reviews, 919 Photos
- Roman Forum- 244 Reviews, 469 Photos
- Spanish Steps - Piazza di Spagna- 303 Reviews, 476 Photos
- Piazza Navona- 171 Reviews, 290 Photos
- Castel Sant'Angelo- 146 Reviews, 281 Photos
- Pantheon- 270 Reviews, 556 Photos
- Piazza Campo de' Fiori- 65 Reviews, 115 Photos
- Vatican Museums- 159 Reviews, 378 Photos
See All Rome Things to Do