"Valley of God" Shaker Heights by heplion
Shaker Heights Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 1 photos
This is what what the first settlers called Shaker Heights when they arrived here, a bit over 100 years ago.
Shaker Heights is where I grew up and lived off and on for about 20 years. It certainly isn't a tourist mecca, but if you happen to be in the Cleveland area it really is worth some time to drive thorugh as it is one of the most destinctive and beautiful of the Cleveland suburbs.
The name of the city came from the "Shakers", as the United Society of Believers are commonly known because of the religious ferver. The colony disbanded in the late 1800 and the remaining colonists moved on to other "Shaker" colonies
The Van Swerigan Brothers bought the land sometime in the early 1900's and began development. The city was designed by the Van Swerigans based on the "English Garden" city movement. It was the FIRST planned community in the US. It was tied to Cleveland, 10 miles away, by a "high speed" train to take the professionals that lived in Shaker to their offices downtown.
The Van Swerigan brothers are also responsable for many of the buildings you see in downtown Cleveland such as the Terminal Tower.
Shaker is one of the most affluent neighborhoods inthe city. I often would joke with my friends that we were the hillybillys of shaker, the shaker billy's! But the houses in the area are fantastic to look at in many different styles from English Tudor, to all brick with slate roofs and bronze rain gutters.
The rapid transit line (a part of the public transportation system) connects Shaker Heights to Cleveland. So, you can go... more travel advice
heplion's Related Pages
Shaker Heights Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Shaker Heights
- 3 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Shaker Heights?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shaker Heights
Photos in Shaker HeightsSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 43 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Russia Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bukhara Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rostov-na-Donu Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Guangzhou Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Samara Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos