"Yes Mom, there is toilet paper in Russia!!!!" Moscow by heplion
Moscow Travel Guide: 4,200 reviews and 9,782 photos
I have beenhere since Februaruy 2002 and so far am loving it. The following are some of the interesting question and concerns expressed to me prior to leaving the US on my adventure...
1) Should you take toilet paper with you, I hear that they don't have enough and people need to stand in loooong lines to get it.
-While the standard Russian brands may not be as soft as the US counterparts, there is certainly no shortage of toilet paper here! In fact you can even get Cottenelle if you really want to spend the extra money!!
2) Are you going to come back with a Russian wife?
-Don't know Mom, only been here a month, the jury is still out! There seems to be a belief in the US that every women is looking to marry an American man so that she can leave Russia. I don't think this is true....
UPDATE: Well, it appears that yes, I am going to bring home a Russian wife, however she is trying to talk me into staying here in Russia....we'll see.......
3) Be careful of the vodka, you are going to come back an alcoholic!!
-Still haven't met a Russian that actually LIKES to drink vodka yet!
4) Don't drink the water!!
-OK, I'll give you this one, it does taste pretty bad!! I'll go with the bottled!
5) Aren't you afraid of the Mafia??
-Dad, I am here as a volunteer, if the Mafia is coming after me for money, then they are poor enough NOT to be dangerous anyway!
6) And from my sister!! Is it true that the women only shower once a week and that they don't shave?
-um, well, I guess I really can't speak to the shaving, it is winter here and they are wearing pants, however I have been assured that they do indeed shave. As far as showering. Gees, this is just too goofy of a question to answer. They sell soap here, there are showers in the flats, and I haven't meant anyone that smells any worse than an American.
For some really great VT Moscow pages see:
I went to see a wonderful children's ballet Chippolino at the Bolshoi over the weekend with my son. While the show was... more travel advice
The old Moscow circus is an absolut delight. I am not to much into the animal acts myself, but that aside, the animals... more travel advice
- Is St.Patrick's day a Russian Custom??
- Starry Arbat, if you need to get rid of...
- ice skating in gorky park
- See All TRAFFIC on the ring
- See All Look in the English language newspapers
heplion's Related Pages
Moscow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Moscow..."
- "Memories of Moscow"
- "Moscow is my Universe"
- "Mother Russia"
- "Marvellous Moscow"
- "Moscow - Thrilling capital of Russia"
- "Muscovite's Moscow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moscow
- Hotels in Moscow
- Transportation in Moscow
- Nightlife in Moscow
- Restaurants in Moscow
- Shopping in Moscow
- Warnings and Dangers in Moscow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moscow
- 43 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 67 Forum posts
- 149 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Moscow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moscow
- updated a Moscow Travel Page "Yes Mom, there is toilet paper in Russia!!!!"
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "transportation question"
- Wrote a Review A ballet about an onion and a lemon about Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A ballet about an onion and a lemon"
- Commented on one of dkrunic's Moscow travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 43 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cleveland Intro, 21 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Russia Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bukhara Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rostov-na-Donu Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Guangzhou Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Samara Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos