"Yes Mom, there is toilet paper in Russia!!!!" Moscow by heplion

Moscow Travel Guide: 4,071 reviews and 9,282 photos

I have beenhere since Februaruy 2002 and so far am loving it. The following are some of the interesting question and concerns expressed to me prior to leaving the US on my adventure...

1) Should you take toilet paper with you, I hear that they don't have enough and people need to stand in loooong lines to get it.
-While the standard Russian brands may not be as soft as the US counterparts, there is certainly no shortage of toilet paper here! In fact you can even get Cottenelle if you really want to spend the extra money!!

2) Are you going to come back with a Russian wife?
-Don't know Mom, only been here a month, the jury is still out! There seems to be a belief in the US that every women is looking to marry an American man so that she can leave Russia. I don't think this is true....
UPDATE: Well, it appears that yes, I am going to bring home a Russian wife, however she is trying to talk me into staying here in Russia....we'll see.......

3) Be careful of the vodka, you are going to come back an alcoholic!!
-Still haven't met a Russian that actually LIKES to drink vodka yet!

4) Don't drink the water!!
-OK, I'll give you this one, it does taste pretty bad!! I'll go with the bottled!

5) Aren't you afraid of the Mafia??
-Dad, I am here as a volunteer, if the Mafia is coming after me for money, then they are poor enough NOT to be dangerous anyway!

6) And from my sister!! Is it true that the women only shower once a week and that they don't shave?
-um, well, I guess I really can't speak to the shaving, it is winter here and they are wearing pants, however I have been assured that they do indeed shave. As far as showering. Gees, this is just too goofy of a question to answer. They sell soap here, there are showers in the flats, and I haven't meant anyone that smells any worse than an American.

For some really great VT Moscow pages see:
Lalique
Anya_D

• Last visit to Moscow: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2002

• Nov 19, 2007 at 5:35 PM

FYI the word for pharmacy is apteka in english letters. àïòåêà in cyrillic.

• sarawakgirl's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 6:25 PM

Nice page! Thank u for sharing.

• Mar 8, 2004 at 1:11 AM

Love the questions and concerns

• Feb 16, 2004 at 10:30 AM

On the topic of the "mickey finn". They use blood pressure meds to dope you and an accomplice gets you home, letting in others. People waking up during robberies were beaten. Avoid going out alone, and get your beverages from sealed bottles or taps.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 12:38 PM

Oh, I see that Moscow is not your home town anymore, do you miss it?

• Suzanne123's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2003 at 9:03 PM

What a great page. Well done and now I want to come to Moscow. I am a PETA person, but am curious. How BIG is the MC D's there

• cmthomas's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2003 at 11:31 AM

I have just discovered your page and enjoy it immensly! It will take weeks to see all of it. Wonderful job. Congratulations!

• renuschka's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2003 at 12:14 AM

your town is very big with very nice buildings

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2003 at 1:25 AM

Hi Alec! Paleontology Museum is situated in a park "Uzkoje", just 500 m from the metro Teplyi Stan. ;-)

• katmag's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2003 at 9:39 AM

good tip! i never thought about going to the circus, but the russian circus would probably be one of the best in the world! thanks. ~kat

heplion

“The weather is here, wish you were beautiful”

Badges & Stats in Moscow