"Marriage in a Foreign Land" Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent by heplion

Tashkent Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 127 photos

A wife and son as a birthday present...

My primary reason for visiting Tashkent was to marry my girlfriend of the last year. It was a rather surrealistic event. She left Moscow for Tashkent several weeks before me to begin the beaurocratic process of marrying an American in Uzekistan. I arrived two weeks later and we were given a wedding date on my birthday! What a great present! I got a new wife and a new 5 year old son! Weddings work a little bit different in Uzbekistan, as well as all of the CIS countries I expect. The way it is supposed to work is that you got the local marriage palace (ZAGS) and submit your paperwork and they give you a wedding date about 32 days later. In our case I only had a two week window to be away from work, so we paid a "little" extra money and got a date in about a week. Her parents were able to join us at the wedding, however, unfortunatly, my family was not able to come due to the short notice of the wedding date and the cost of travel to Tashkent from the States.

• Last visit to Tashkent: Dec 2002
  • Intro Written Dec 19, 2002

• Jul 16, 2006 at 6:27 PM

Cool deal, i am marrying a woman from there this year and i can't wait for the whole experience

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 6:39 AM

an interesting page & great pics, Alec !

• Dec 10, 2003 at 9:07 PM

Great page, nice phtographs and tips. Many many happy returns of the day. Wishing you a happy birthday and all the best for future. Hope this day brings more cheers to your family too.

• mayafly's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2003 at 4:30 PM

i'm so jealous that you found some barf!! someone told me about it the first time i went to russia, but i have yet to find some...nice uzbekistan pages, i'm thinking of maybe learning some uzbek this year and going there next summer.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2003 at 12:55 PM

A foreign wedding must have been an interesting experience. Great page. Thanks for sharing it.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2003 at 4:03 AM

Hey.. Congratulations... Great page, I enjoyed..

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2003 at 1:30 AM

Good tips, beautiful places, pictures & people. Congrats.

• stonefree's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2003 at 1:15 AM

This is not what I have expected! Lovely page, and congraturations for everything!!!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2003 at 3:13 AM

Such an interesting and funny page.

• AndreasK's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2003 at 1:26 AM

great page Alec; getting married in Uzekistan must be quite an experience!

heplion

“The weather is here, wish you were beautiful”

Badges & Stats in Tashkent

Have you been to Tashkent?

Latest Activity in Tashkent