"QASR AL KHARANAH" Qasr al Kharanah by MiguelMV
Qasr al Kharanah Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 73 photos
That's where this castle is, in the middle on nowhere. About 60 kilometres east from Amman, in the middle of a vaste plain in the jordanian desert, there it is, Al-Kharanah ummayd castle. With thick walls and small windows, both for defense and air ventilation, these type of castle or fortress were used either as residential place or check point for caravans coming from the east. The structure is squared, with a yard in the middle. It was built in the year 710, possibly from previous roman or byzantine buildings. It is part of the route of the "Castles of the deserts" and, without any doubt, its mysterious atmosphere outside and inside the the castle, makes it a very interesting place to visit.
You can also walk some stairs up to the roof, which has been restored and now you can walk around it and have views from... more travel advice
A walk around the different rooms inside the castle is a nice experience. There are several sized rooms,also baths (as... more travel advice
MiguelMV's Related Pages
Qasr al Kharanah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qasr al-Kharanah: a castle in the desert"
- "Desert Castle"
- "QASR AL KHARANAH"
- "A great Desert Castle"
- "Qasr al Kharanah"
- "Qasr Al Kharraneh"
- "QASR AL KHARANAH"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qasr al Kharanah
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Qasr al Kharanah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qasr al Kharanah
Photos in Qasr al KharanahSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Jordan Intro, 109 reviews, 192 photos
- Petra Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amman Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Jarash Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Wadi Rum Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Umm Qays Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Madaba Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Slovenia Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue