"Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore" Top 5 Page for this destination Munising by kaloz
Munising Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 149 photos
I am not sure where to put this site, as it is a 40 mile hike between Munising and Grand Marais. KimberlyAnn built her's here, so I am following suit. This was a hike I did during spring break in 1985. Most people go somewhere warm, not me!! To the southern shore of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. But gosh, was it lovely!!
The shoreline is a testiment to erosion. The name comes from the wonderful colours found on the water eaten rock. KimberlyAnn did this trip by boat, so her pictures are from below. Mine are from above. Both are worth seeing.
Lake Superior is the largest and the deepest of the great lakes. The water is very clean, and you can see the continuation of the shoreline as it continues into the lake. It is a spectacular lake, but very cold.
- Pros:Excellent Scenery
- Cons:Primative Accomodations
- In a nutshell:Worth the effort
Backpack or rucksack. Plastic garbage bags, leaf sized make good pack protection from the rain, and smaller plastic bags... more travel advice
This picture should give you some idea why they call this walk "pictured rocks". The whole trail is scenic, but the... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Munising Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Waterfalls and Pictured Rocks Lakeshore"
- "Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore"
- "On the shores of Gitche Gumee"
- "Say Yah to Da UP, Eh !"
- "A Nice Getaway"
- "Munising, Michigan by Kimberlyann"
- "A truly Superior place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munising
- Hotels in Munising
- Transportation in Munising
- Nightlife in Munising
- Restaurants in Munising
- Warnings and Dangers in Munising
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munising
- 18 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Munising?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munising
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos