"Whale Passage -- The Alaska Marine Highway" Whale Island by kaloz
Whale Island Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 15 photos
Once a month from April to October the Alaska Marine Highway provides service between Homer and Dutch Harbor. On the leg between Chignik and Kodiak you pass through Whale Passage on the south side of Whale Island. It is hard to get good photographs of the whales, but you will see plenty.
This is a nice shot of a fin whale taken by Diane, (I was out of film cards :.-(, but she is letting me use her shots. Fin Whales are not prone to the spectacular breeches of the Humpback Whale, this is a typical sighting of his back.
Keep your eye open for Sea Otters. This once plentiful creature was hunted to near extinction by the Russian fleet. Now on the endangered list, they have staged a remarkable comeback, only to face a new threat. The Orca!
Orca Whales are commonly called "Killer Whales" and feature a striking black and white motif, and a large dorsal fin. They like to feed on Sea Lions or Pollock, but lately there have been many accounts of them eating Sea Otters. Some theorize that it is because of the reduced number of Pollock, but this is under dispute. Orcas would have to eat a lot of otters to make up the difference.
- Pros:Lots of Whales
- Cons:Hard to photograph from a moving vessel
- In a nutshell:Keep a sharp lookout -- they are everywhere.
You might not want to come indoors, but the bar on the Tustemena has a large window, and you will see whales. The hours... more travel advice
The smallest of the ceatations, the Dall's Porpoise looks like a miniture Orca, sporting the black and white motif. They... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Whale Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Whale Island
- Hotels in Whale Island
- Transportation in Whale Island
- Nightlife in Whale Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Whale Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whale Island
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Whale Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whale Island
Photos in Whale IslandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos