"Unalaska Alaska -- not an oxymoron" Unalaska by kaloz
Unalaska Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 45 photos
Many visitors refer to this area as Dutch Harbor. Locals tell me that Dutch Harbor refers to the water, and Unalaska is the land. I am a bit more generous, giving Dutch the area that supports the harbor.
Unalaska is a very charming village, on the island of Unalaska, at the end of the Alaska Marine Highway. This is as far west as you can drive in the USA. If you take the ferry, as we did, you will arrive in the early morning and leave before anyone wakes up. We were surprised that nothing was open. I mean, hey, the ferry only comes in once a month. But this is a village that does not get many tourists, it is too remote.
Despite the hour, the sun is up in the summer, and the island is lovely. Though I have heard many horror stories about the weather. They say that the Aleutians are where storms are born. So after breakfast at Ziggy's in Dutch, get a guide and see the scenery before trying the town. Maybe when you get back, people will be awake.
The Holy Ascension Cathedral is Unalaska's most famous landmark. Once on the 12 most endangered landmarks list, it has been restored with the generous help of many.
Father John Veniaminoff was a priest here, and translated the gospels into the Aleutiiq language. He was later canonized a saint, and is one of the 5 saints of Alaska. He is now known as St Innocent.
Strangely, I was unable to get an icon of Saint Innocent at this, his parish. Perhaps it was because our visit was late in the summer.
Billed as the roughest bar in Alaska, the Elbow Room is for your hard working, hard drinking Bering Sea fisherman.
Because we were in town so early, we didn't witness any rowdyness, but we did hoist a few, and collected our t-shirts, jackets, trinkets to show how tough we are.
- Pros:Very Charming -- lots to see
- Cons:Well off the beaten path
- In a nutshell:Doesn't cater to tourists
Honey, what do you feel like eating tonight? I'm not sure either, let's go to the family restaurant in Unalaska, then we... more travel advice
After several miles on torturous roads we came to a beach area, and there was a "porta-let". I was surprised. We just... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Unalaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unalaska Alaska -- not an oxymoron"
- "LizSitka's new Unalaska Page"
- "There's more to it than you'd think"
- "Our home for 18 years"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Unalaska
- Hotels in Unalaska
- Transportation in Unalaska
- Nightlife in Unalaska
- Restaurants in Unalaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Unalaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Unalaska
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Unalaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Unalaska
Photos in UnalaskaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos