"Monk's Lagoon -- St Herman of Alaska" Ouzinkie by kaloz
Ouzinkie Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 10 photos
Ouzinkie is a native village on Spruce Island, just off Kodiak Island. I haven't actually been to the village, but every year in August we travel to Monk's Lagoon to the hermitage of St Herman of Alaska. St Herman was made a saint in 1970 by the Othodox Church in America.
It is a beautiful, peaceful place, and well worth the visit
This site concentrates on the annual pilgrimage.
Monk's Lagoon is just a few miles from the village.
Local Fishermen donate the use of their vessels to take the pilgrims from Kodiak to Spruce Island. Be sure to get a life vest from the pile in front of Holy Resurrection Cathedral. If you are prone to "Mal de Mer" bring a patch or dramamine in case the seas are rough.
Monk's Lagoon is very peaceful. This trip is good for the soul, and spirit. You will come away with a gentle spirit. This is a view of the floatilla anchored in the bay from the Hermitage.
- Pros:The Home of a Saint
- Cons:you may get your feet wet
- In a nutshell:Good for the Soul
This hermitage is no longer used, there are footpaths to other monk's cells and smaller chapels. Take the time to... more travel advice
Attend divine services at the chapel built over the grave of St Herman. St Herman's remains have been moved to the... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Ouzinkie Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ouzinkie
- Hotels in Ouzinkie
- Transportation in Ouzinkie
- Restaurants in Ouzinkie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ouzinkie
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Ouzinkie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouzinkie
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 58 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos