"Kodiak Alaska -- My Home Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak by kaloz

Kodiak Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 446 photos

Land of Adventure

Welcome to Kodiak Alaska, my home town. Located in the Gulf of Alaska, Kodiak is a temperate isle due to the warm Japanese currents. We are home to over 3000 bears, the largest land dwelling carnivores, but you'll have to travel outside of town to see one. There are plenty of activities all year round, or plan ahead with a guide.

In addition to the fishing and hunting, we also offer a cultural history, with museums of the Aluutiq way of life, and from the Russian era.

Famous visitors last year included President Jimmy Carter, and Tiger Woods. You never know who will show up in Kodiak Alaska.

A Town of Tradition

Kodiak is a very old Russian settlement. We have the oldest extant building of the Russian era, the Baranov House. We even have our own Saint!! St Herman of Alaska was cannonized by the Orthodox church in 1970.

A Hard Working Town

Kodiak is a fishing village, struggling with the influx of farmed fish, our fleet chases the wild fish, the one's that fight to survive, and when you taste our seafood, you will know the difference.

• Pros:Good People, Good Fun, Great Scenery
  • Cons:It just might rain today.
  • In a nutshell:I wouldn't live anywhere else
  • Last visit to Kodiak: Oct 2002
  • Intro Written Oct 6, 2002

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Excellent tips on Kodiak. What a nice place for outdoor adventure. Cheers, SL :)

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Kaloz, for your hardwork and great tips on Kodiak, I gave you great ratings!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Hey Nick...Thanks for sharing your photos and info on Alaska..hope to get up that way and see and enjoy it soon..DennyP

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 7:19 AM

Good that your hHP popped up to see nice nature photos. I love nature and its a joy to see these pics. Have a good day.

• stedeb's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Isn't Kodiak home to those massive Kodiak Bears??

• royalempress's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Enjoyed your Kodiak Page..

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2007 at 5:47 AM

Nice pages. I'm hoping to get to Alaska next Summer. Fingers crossed!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Hello Nick. Fantastic pages here & gorgeous pictures. I really enjoyed your tips very much. Craaaaaab fest... delicious! But where are the bears? No pictures? :-) Greetings from the desert / Jess

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 5:31 AM

When can i come in for the Martinis??

• Aug 24, 2006 at 11:38 AM

very nice shots...especially the crab fest;) salam from london

kaloz Used To Live Here!

kaloz

“On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless thousands.”

Badges & Stats in Kodiak