"Kodiak Alaska -- My Home Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak by kaloz
Kodiak Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 446 photos
Welcome to Kodiak Alaska, my home town. Located in the Gulf of Alaska, Kodiak is a temperate isle due to the warm Japanese currents. We are home to over 3000 bears, the largest land dwelling carnivores, but you'll have to travel outside of town to see one. There are plenty of activities all year round, or plan ahead with a guide.
In addition to the fishing and hunting, we also offer a cultural history, with museums of the Aluutiq way of life, and from the Russian era.
Famous visitors last year included President Jimmy Carter, and Tiger Woods. You never know who will show up in Kodiak Alaska.
Kodiak is a very old Russian settlement. We have the oldest extant building of the Russian era, the Baranov House. We even have our own Saint!! St Herman of Alaska was cannonized by the Orthodox church in 1970.
Kodiak is a fishing village, struggling with the influx of farmed fish, our fleet chases the wild fish, the one's that fight to survive, and when you taste our seafood, you will know the difference.
- Pros:Good People, Good Fun, Great Scenery
- Cons:It just might rain today.
- In a nutshell:I wouldn't live anywhere else
The sun comes in at a low angle at many times of the year causing big changes in contrast. You may be driving when,... more travel advice
Take a trip to a native village. They are each unique. Island Air flys to all the villages, some do not have runways, so... more travel advice
- See All Near Island
- See All Fort Abercrombie State Park
- See All Bumper Guards
- See All High School Bears Basketball
- See All Tsunami party central
- See All Party Bar (Dancing, Drinking, & Meeting)
kaloz's Related Pages
Kodiak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kodiak Alaska"
- "A Town Like Any Other Town, But With a Difference"
- "Kodiak Alaska -- My Home Town"
- "The Emerald Isle"
- "NORTH to ALASKA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kodiak
- Hotels in Kodiak
- Transportation in Kodiak
- Nightlife in Kodiak
- Restaurants in Kodiak
- Shopping in Kodiak
- Warnings and Dangers in Kodiak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kodiak
- 48 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 84 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Kodiak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kodiak
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "RE: how to get from Anchorage to..."
- Commented on one of herzog63's Kodiak travel pages
- Wrote a Review High Contrast -- long angles in Kodiak What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "High School Bears Basketball"
- created a Kodiak Travelogue "Flora of Alaska -- mid to late summer"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos