"Homer -- suffering from a "Spit" Personality" Top 5 Page for this destination Homer by kaloz

Homer Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 367 photos

Pretty as a Picture

Peggy and Diane tell me that they sell these villages in knick-knack shops. Well Paddy-whack, we've got the real thing here in Homer.

Homer is at the end of the road, Route 1, 226 miles from Anchorage a nice days drive. It is also just one ferry stop from my home in Kodiak.

Homer is located on Kachemak Bay and offers a spectacular view. It is full of charm, and has a hidden treasure, the town of Homer, located about 5 miles from the spit, and often overlooked by travelers.

An Artistic Bent

When I first visited Homer, I noticed a lot of galleries. As you can see from this picture, the artistic bent adds a lot of charm to the town. Be sure to bring lots of film.

Homer will charm you, and you may not want to leave.

As if this wasn't enough . . .

Great Views! Great Charm! A Famous Saloon! Great Fishing! If this wasn't enough . . . A great place to pick up chicks! So the sign says.

Actually, this sign would not be out of place at the Salty Dog, where women tend to leave their underwear in the bar. Don't believe me? Go and see for yourself.

Homer attracts a lot of travellers, many young, and does have a wild side. This is a place to fall in love, at least for one night.

• Pros:Charm, Views, Nightlife, Fishing, 'nuff said.
  • Cons:You may never want to leave
  • In a nutshell:Don't miss it.
  • Last visit to Homer: Aug 2003
  • Intro Written Jan 19, 2004

• marecki1234's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM

We loved this place formWelcome to Good bye. Excellent service and the sea food is just delicious. One of the best Clam and Chowder soups I have ever had. We liked it so much we have purchased a gallon of it for later enjoyment.

• Jun 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM

This has to be the absolute worst customer service ever! They do not treat tourists nicely.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Great tips!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Nick, I shall be in Homer 4-6 Aug 07. Your tips were very helpful. Thanks!

• akmenuke's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 3:40 AM

I was in salty dog saloon in 2005. Had just great time there! I wish some day to come back to visit this great bar and one sexy capitain Charlie! ;)

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2004 at 2:15 PM

Good tips about Homer! I was only here once, but was left with a good impression - except for the flying kitchen tent incident! ;-)

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2004 at 8:01 PM

I like the way you see things, especially the little things you discovered. You find the humor in Homer.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2004 at 7:45 AM

I just saw that guy with the fishing tan and he wanted to know where you lived...I told him Unalaska and you changed your name to Sheila!! I didn't know the story about the elephant! Cool!! Great page Nick!!

kaloz

“On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless thousands.”

Badges & Stats in Homer