"Girdwood Alaska and My Alyeska" Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood by kaloz
Girdwood Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 167 photos
There is a joke that you can get to Alaska from Anchorage by travelling 30 minutes. Well if you do that, you may find yourself in Girdwood.
I first visited Girdwood with Peggy and Diane in August. They had heard about a cable car ride from a women's magazine at their local grocer.
Girdwood was charming in the summertime, and when I went to Anchorage for a VT meeting in January, I decided to revisit Girdwood in the winter.
Mt Alyeska is a popular place for alpine skiing. And Girdwood is even more charming in Winter!
Alaska must be visited in the winter, it is so lovely. If you are a skiier, plan a trip to Alyeska, there are plenty of trails and the town is charming. After a hard day of carving the snow, relax in the salt water spa.
The picture is the view of the Turnagain Arm and the Kenai Peninsula from Mt Alyeska
Although our visit was brief, little more than a lunch stop (on top of a mountain!!), I knew I wanted to go back to Girdwood.
Photo of Diane and Peggy on Mt Alyeska in August 2003. This area can get 782 inches of snow!!
- Pros:Lots of fun things to do, or just relax
- Cons:a bit pricey
- In a nutshell:This is Alaska, just 40 minutes from Anchorage
Aloha Alaska seerves espresso, has a deli, and sells gifts. The gift shop is to the right as you enter and features many... more travel advice
Connie and Chris run the Great Alaskan Tourist Trap located just off the Seward Highway near the old townsite of... more travel advice
- See All The Mountain in Summer
- See All Para-Sail off the Mountain
- See All Best Way Down -- Summer
- See All Alyeska in the summer
- Sports Gear and More
kaloz's Related Pages
Girdwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Girdwood Alaska and My Alyeska"
- "Home to Alyeska - Alaska's Premier Skiing Resort"
- "Jumping onto a Glacier with a Chopper in Girdwood"
- "Girdwood - a year-round resort close to Anchorage"
- "Ski town of Alaska"
- "Brief excursion into Girdwood"
- "Uber Sleazy, Uber Rich Side by Side"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Girdwood
- Hotels in Girdwood
- Transportation in Girdwood
- Nightlife in Girdwood
- Restaurants in Girdwood
- Shopping in Girdwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Girdwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Girdwood
- 47 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Girdwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Girdwood
Photos in GirdwoodSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos