"Girdwood Alaska and My Alyeska" Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood by kaloz

Girdwood Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 162 photos

Just 40 miles from Anchorage, but in Alaska

There is a joke that you can get to Alaska from Anchorage by travelling 30 minutes. Well if you do that, you may find yourself in Girdwood.

I first visited Girdwood with Peggy and Diane in August. They had heard about a cable car ride from a women's magazine at their local grocer.

Girdwood was charming in the summertime, and when I went to Anchorage for a VT meeting in January, I decided to revisit Girdwood in the winter.

Mt Alyeska is a popular place for alpine skiing. And Girdwood is even more charming in Winter!

Winter Majesty

Alaska must be visited in the winter, it is so lovely. If you are a skiier, plan a trip to Alyeska, there are plenty of trails and the town is charming. After a hard day of carving the snow, relax in the salt water spa.

The picture is the view of the Turnagain Arm and the Kenai Peninsula from Mt Alyeska

Summer in Alyeska

Although our visit was brief, little more than a lunch stop (on top of a mountain!!), I knew I wanted to go back to Girdwood.

Photo of Diane and Peggy on Mt Alyeska in August 2003. This area can get 782 inches of snow!!

• Pros:Lots of fun things to do, or just relax
  • Cons:a bit pricey
  • In a nutshell:This is Alaska, just 40 minutes from Anchorage
  • Last visit to Girdwood: Jan 2004
  • Intro Written Feb 4, 2004

• Aug 11, 2009 at 11:34 PM

A lot of tips!!! Intersting and full of information! Keep travelling

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2005 at 11:06 AM

Bick - nice treatment of Girdwood. Heading there today and wanted to see what I've missed just never leaving the Prince during a conference. Will have to get out.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2004 at 12:10 PM

An enjoyable page to read, good wit! Guess I won't have to look out for the yellow snow in June??

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2004 at 7:24 PM

kids need to be in bed at 10pm anyway and when I come and vist, I'll bring me Dog Rosie^..^ lovely area, lovely presented. thanx Nick

kaloz

“On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless thousands.”

Badges & Stats in Girdwood

Have you been to Girdwood?

Latest Activity in Girdwood