"The Start of the Aleutian Chain" False Pass by kaloz
False Pass Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 13 photos
False Pass is a narrow strip of water that can only be negotianted when the tide is right. It is a cheat for fishing vessels to get from the Pacific Ocean to the Bering Sea without going around Unimak Island.
The marker shows the westernmost point of the Alaska Peninsula. The village of False Pass in on Unimak Island.
If the currents and tides are against you, you will never make it through the pass, and even on the ferry, they plan the trips according to the tide table, and this is a big powerful boat. This afternoon, we saw some rain squalls, as you can see from the spotting on my lens
I am somwhere between the Pacific Ocean and the Bering Sea, at a place called False Pass, Alaska in the Aleutian Island Chain.
We are having a splendid time on our cruise, and are enjoying seeing all the little villages along the way.
Peggy and Diane did say that there isn't enough shopping on this trip, but we did some shopping here.
See you when we get back.
- Pros:Start of the Aleutian Chain
- Cons:Tricky tidal navigation
- In a nutshell:Goodbye mainland.
Shishaldin Volcano rises 9372 ft and is one of those perfect cone volcanos. It is on Unimak Island, though you can not... more travel advice
As we departed False Pass on this dreary, drizzly day, the sun started peaking out and we were treated to a... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
False Pass Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in False Pass
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to False Pass?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in False Pass
Photos in False PassSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Reykjavík Intro, 58 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos