"Dutch Harbor -- As Far West as You Can "Drive"" Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor by kaloz
Dutch Harbor Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 118 photos
Dutch Harbor is the terminous of the Alaska Marine Highway. This is as far west as you can "drive" in the USA.
Dutch Harbor is on the island of Unalaska, and refers to the Harbor and the commercial area that supports the harbor. Dutch Harbor is America's #1 fishing port, landing more than 800,000,000 lbs of fish.
The island is striking in that there are no trees here. Just as going up a mountain you see a tree-line, there is a tree-line as you travel west.
We are so far off the beaten path that Dutch Harbor was featured in National Geographic at the time we visited. This gave Peggy and Diane some background and got them excited about spending several days on a ferry.
Dutch Harbor was bombed in June of 1942 as a diversionary tactic for the attack on Midway Island. The Aleutian Islands were occupied during WWII.
This is a little known chapter in the history of WWII, and military buffs would find it fascinating.
The M/V Tustemena has been our home on this journey, and Cap'n Barry Olver has guided us safely. Here is the Cap'n docking the boat in Dutch Harbor. Even though we got a sticker saying we "Drove" the Alaska Marine Highway, it was really Cap'n Barry.
- Pros:Rich in little known history
- Cons:Well off the beaten path
- In a nutshell:Bombed during WWII
For the most fun you can have, get Sheila Taranto to give you the tour. For around $20 a person (depending on the number... more travel advice
Dutch Harbor was bombed in June of 1942. Learn more about the military campaign known as the "1,000 mile war" at the... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Dutch Harbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Unalaska was Home for 17 Years"
- "An Interesting Diversion"
- "Dutch Harbor -- As Far West as You Can "Drive""
- "Across the Bering Sea"
- "My Walkabout in Alaska"
- "This is the start of a Bering Sea/Dutch Harbor pag"
- "Mike_Hess's new Dutch Harbor Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dutch Harbor
- Hotels in Dutch Harbor
- Transportation in Dutch Harbor
- Nightlife in Dutch Harbor
- Restaurants in Dutch Harbor
- Warnings and Dangers in Dutch Harbor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dutch Harbor
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Dutch Harbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dutch Harbor
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Music lovers game!"
- Commented on one of RickinDutch's Dutch Harbor travel pages
- Wrote a Review Everyone knows Sheila in Dutch Harbor Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Everyone knows Sheila"
- created a Dutch Harbor Travel Page "Dutch Harbor -- As Far West as You Can "Drive""
Photos in Dutch HarborSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Reykjavík Intro, 58 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos