"Cold Bay --Not a fishing village." Cold Bay by kaloz
Cold Bay Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 20 photos
Cold bay is the only stop on our tour that isn't a fishing village. Cold Bay is the landing point for those visiting Izembek National Wildlife Refuge. The Brant's Goose and other sea birds come here for the eelgrass in the brakish waters of Izembek lagoon.
It is easy to spot wildlife in Cold Bay. It is popular with Brown Bears, Caribou, and Arctic Ground Squirrels. So keep your eyes open.
Izembek Lagoon has the largest bed of Eelgrass in the world, and this highly nutritous grass attracks seabirds. The Lagoon is a "Wetland of International Importance", So bring your "Sibley's Guide" or other favorite birder book.
Cold Bay has a very long runway, and is a diversion landing strip for the space shuttle, though it has never landed here. A few years back, a Japanese flight was diverted here, and the village of 86 people had to find accomodations and food for their unexpected 300 Japanese guests.
- Pros:Wildlife and Birder's Dream
- Cons:Remote Location
- In a nutshell:Watch for the Space Shuttle
Cold Bay has a long runway, and is a diversion landing strip for the Space Shuttle, though this is not the cheapest way... more travel advice
Be Bear Aware: Cook away from your campsite, and store your food in air tight containers. If you are fishing and a bear... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Cold Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cold Bay --Not a fishing village."
- "Cold Bay"
- "izembek's new Cold Bay Page"
- "Cold Bay Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cold Bay
- Hotels in Cold Bay
- Transportation in Cold Bay
- Restaurants in Cold Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Cold Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cold Bay
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Cold Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cold Bay
Photos in Cold BaySee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 58 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos