"Chignik -- Great Location for explorers." Chignik by kaloz
Chignik Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 25 photos
Chignik, and the villages of Chignik Lake and Chignik Lagoon are in the middle of many National Areas. We are cruising in the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, on land it is the Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge. We are close to the least visited National Park, Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve.
The entrance into Chignik is Castle Cape (pictured). Also in the area are Mt Veniaminof and the Aniakchak Crater. A lot to see! In the middle is the village of Chignik, a fishing village of 1100 or so in season and 80 off-season.
In the middle of all these parks and refuges, what about the town? Chignik is a frontier town with gravel roads and few amenities. This is a place to get away. There are quite a few buildings close to the dock, and there are a few residences along the road leading to the salmon streams, then off into the hills, which we didn't have time to explore.
You want to study geology, look at these beautiful striations! And nearby you can study Aniakchak Crater and several mountains.
- Pros:Great place to explore Alaska Peninsula Refuge
- Cons:Off the Beathen Path
- In a nutshell:A charming place in a beautiful setting
I like to travel light, if I can't carry it, I don't need it. My luggage is my rucksack (backpack) Deck Shoes for on... more travel advice
The Lounge on board the Tustemena has very limited hours: noon till two, and six till nine in the evening, so be sure to... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Chignik Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Chignik
- Hotels in Chignik
- Transportation in Chignik
- Nightlife in Chignik
- Restaurants in Chignik
- Warnings and Dangers in Chignik
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chignik
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Chignik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chignik
Photos in ChignikSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Reykjavík Intro, 58 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos