"Chena Hot Springs Resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Chena Hot Springs by kaloz
Chena Hot Springs Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 59 photos
Chena Hot Springs is about 60 miles outside of Fairbanks at the end of the road. We went on a winter special with Alaska Railroad on the Aurora Train. The train goes along the edge of the Denali National Park and Preserve. On a clear day you have many miles of views of the great one, at one point you are only 46 miles away.
This is my first trip to the interior.
I am accompanied by Gretchen, to whom this page is dedicated.
Alaska Railroad with it's blue/gold motif was once the only way to explore the interior, except by foot or dog sled. Towns grew, flourished, and died as there was more transportation options. Many of the stops along the way are now just names from the past. Get a "Ride Guide" at the Anchorage Depot, it is invaluable well worth the $5.
The train makes its way slowly so there are plenty of views, and homesteaders can flag the train to travel, get or send supplies. I highly recommend the train, even though it is a 12 hour ride.
During a weekend stay, you will not run out of activities, or you can just relax. If the sky is clear, you will see the northern lights (not in summer!), as well as wildlife in the area. This pile of bones has moose horns, elk and caribou. This is a good spot to relax and enjoy your holiday.
- Pros:Take a break and relax
- Cons:Isloated, and they know it
- In a nutshell:A good weekender
The midpoint on the train ride is Honolulu. (I told Brendan to make sure and get the sign). Honolulu is a flag stop, and... more travel advice
We met lots of nice people on the Aurora train, and formed a little community. A very Alaskan thing to do. We'd meet up... more travel advice
- See All Giant Asparagus
- See All I was so mad . . . this makes no sense
- See All Winter fun
- See All Rent a snowmobile for high speed fun
kaloz's Related Pages
Chena Hot Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chena Hot Springs Resort"
- "Ah to relax..."
- "Winter Paradise"
- "Chena Hot Springs"
- "Chena Hot Spring"
- "Relaxing moment"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chena Hot Springs
- Hotels in Chena Hot Springs
- Transportation in Chena Hot Springs
- Nightlife in Chena Hot Springs
- Restaurants in Chena Hot Springs
- Shopping in Chena Hot Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Chena Hot Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chena Hot Springs
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Chena Hot Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chena Hot Springs
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "RE: how to get from Anchorage to..."
- Commented on one of Aurora907's Chena Hot Springs travel pages
- Wrote a Review Greetings from Honolulu!!!! . . . Alaska in Chena Hot Springs Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lodge or Cabin -- camping in summer only"
- created a Chena Hot Springs Travel Page "Chena Hot Springs Resort"
Photos in Chena Hot SpringsSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos