"Esztergom -- our last weekend in Hungary" Top 5 Page for this destination Esztergom by kaloz
Esztergom Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 233 photos
We travelled to and from Hungary in a Hydrofoil from Vienna. Esztergom is on a bend in the river where it ceases to be a border and becomes a thoroughfare. Across the river is the Czech Republic. This bridge was destroyed in WWII to stop any advancing armies, and was left that way as a memorial.
(Note: I have been informed that the bridge has been rebuilt since our trip.)
Franz Liszt composed a dedication for this Cathedral. We visited on Sunday to go to church. Tourists are not welcome during services, and we suffered many stares as we entered with our camera gear, but once we knelt and joined in the service, we were accepted.
We climbed up to the top of the cupola on a very narrow spiral staircase. It was very tricky when you met someone going in the other direction. I hope you are friendly and not very shy. The views are worth the trouble.
- Pros:Seat of St Stephen.
- In a nutshell:Visit on Sunday to hear the Organ
We went on Sunday to go to mass, there are signs warning tourists that they are not welcome during services. We suffered... more travel advice
Another view from the cupola, this is the Danube and the Czech Republic is across the river. Note: the bridge has been... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Esztergom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Church with a Town Attached"
- "Esztergom and the Danube Bend"
- "The most historic town in Hungary"
- "Esztergom -- our last weekend in Hungary"
- "Eszter's Esztergom Page"
- "Esztergom, Hungary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Esztergom
- Hotels in Esztergom
- Transportation in Esztergom
- Restaurants in Esztergom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Esztergom
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Esztergom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Esztergom
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
Latest Esztergom hotel reviews
- Ria Panzio
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2012