"Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska by kaloz
Alaska Travel Guide: 7,084 reviews and 15,575 photos
I live in Alaska, on Kodiak Island. This page is dedicated to a train trip I took in February 2003 from Anchorage to Fairbanks. The halfway point is at mile post 288.7 Honolulu Pass. Most people don't think of Honolulu in Alaska, and many Alaskans don't know about this place either. I saw it on the map and had to go even if just for a picture. Thank goodness there was snow there, we have had a very mild winter.
My friend Gretchen travelled with me on this trip, and though she says she gets cold, was a real trooper, putting up with my crazy ideas.
The history of the railroad in Alaska dates to 1904 when the first tracks were laid, but the Alaska central folded in 1909. The Railroad is still an important link to Alaska's interior though passenger service had suffered due to the completion of a roadway. It is still important for homesteaders who rely on it for transportation and supplies.
The Alaska Railroad uses a beautiful blue/gold motif.
Alaska is increadibly beautiful, and the train is a wonderful way to enjoy the scenery. Let them drive while you gawk. The train goes at a leisurely pace from Anchorage to Fairbanks taking 12 hours, and skirts Denali Park, if the skies are willing you may get excellent views of "The Great One".
This photo is of Hurricane Gultch at mile post 284.2. The creek is 296 feet below.
- Pros:Leisurely paced ride through some great scenery
- Cons:At twelve hours it might be too long for some
- In a nutshell:A great way to visit the interior.
If you want souveniers of the Alaska Railroad, buy them at the Anchorage Depot. The other depots do not have gift... more travel advice
I don't have information on this lodge as I didn't stay there, but many visitors finish their rail journey at... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 388 Reviews
- 503 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 58 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos