"Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska by kaloz

Alaska Travel Guide: 6,758 reviews and 14,347 photos

Greetings from Honolulu . . . Alaska

I live in Alaska, on Kodiak Island. This page is dedicated to a train trip I took in February 2003 from Anchorage to Fairbanks. The halfway point is at mile post 288.7 Honolulu Pass. Most people don't think of Honolulu in Alaska, and many Alaskans don't know about this place either. I saw it on the map and had to go even if just for a picture. Thank goodness there was snow there, we have had a very mild winter.

My friend Gretchen travelled with me on this trip, and though she says she gets cold, was a real trooper, putting up with my crazy ideas.

Alaska Railroad

The history of the railroad in Alaska dates to 1904 when the first tracks were laid, but the Alaska central folded in 1909. The Railroad is still an important link to Alaska's interior though passenger service had suffered due to the completion of a roadway. It is still important for homesteaders who rely on it for transportation and supplies.

The Alaska Railroad uses a beautiful blue/gold motif.

Enjoy the Fantastic Scenery

Alaska is increadibly beautiful, and the train is a wonderful way to enjoy the scenery. Let them drive while you gawk. The train goes at a leisurely pace from Anchorage to Fairbanks taking 12 hours, and skirts Denali Park, if the skies are willing you may get excellent views of "The Great One".

This photo is of Hurricane Gultch at mile post 284.2. The creek is 296 feet below.

• Pros:Leisurely paced ride through some great scenery
  • Cons:At twelve hours it might be too long for some
  • In a nutshell:A great way to visit the interior.
  • Last visit to Alaska: Feb 2003
  • Intro Written Mar 1, 2003

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I really enjoyed your train trip. We would love to visit Alaska to see Denali, bears and snow but realise that possibly 2 out of 3 at any one time might be our best hope. We were thinking of September next year.

• Nov 28, 2008 at 3:27 AM

Have cold here i know (i love warm) but anyway it is an excellent website!

• Oct 31, 2007 at 3:08 PM

I grew up here! Nearest house 5 mi; no water/electric. Kids were homeschooled; dad fixed tracks. To learn more, read "Journey to a Dream" by Mary Lovel available at lulu.com. I would love to have a higher resolution copy of this photo.

• May 28, 2006 at 10:55 PM

Enjoyed the picture of my homestead - Sherman City Hall. Thanks! Cityhallresident.

• May 12, 2005 at 8:42 AM

good page!!! excellent reportings on your train trip....

• annk's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2004 at 1:35 PM

Excellent page and enjoyed your sense of humor! The train is a great way to travel. Just the info I was looking for.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2004 at 9:41 PM

Haha... u are funny :D Great info about the permafrost. Lots of it in Coldfoot area. Yes, saw the aurora though not spectacular ones. Will be back & next time on the railroad!

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2004 at 11:42 AM

It was great to meet the conductor !!

• awayhome's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2004 at 7:39 AM

my son name McKinley is the name of the mountain in Alaska. I have never been there yet. but i think I have to go soon. there are so wonderful. you have a great page I enjoyed it=)))

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2003 at 10:59 AM

Beautiful cold Alaska :))

kaloz

“On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless thousands.”

Badges & Stats in Alaska