"A Visit to Lac Rose" Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar by kaloz
Dakar Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 255 photos
I signed up for a tour to Lac Rose, the Pink Lake, which is a good drive from the port. We enjoyed a comfortable ride on tour busses to the lake and then switched to hard benched trucks for our tour. I had never seen a pink lake, and indeed the water has a reddish tinge that did not show up too well in photos, so for theis picture I beefed up the red, still not what you see in postcards. The locals were out on skiffs harvesting salt from the lake which they put into piles and the bag. It is a very interesting sight to see, I just wish that we would have been allowed to detruck and spend more time exploring and getting better photos.
At the far side of the lake we stopped at a village, which is cool, but was really more so that we could be hit up for donations every time we raised the camera, and the craft tent to part us of more money. I am sure that these villagers must be some of the richest people around from the toursist visits.
Over the rise we were on the ocean which was very cool with the waves breaking. Along the way we encountered this man on a camel, but again we made no stops. A very rushed tour. Even though we had a comfortable ride to this tour, it may have been better to secure different transportation and spend time the way we would have liked, not been hearded like cattle.
- Pros:Things I had never seen
- Cons:Rushed tour with emphasis on taking our money
- In a nutshell:Too much to see in this short time
I did not get to go to the Ile de Goree, as I chose the Lac Rose tour instead. This island was used as a staging area... more travel advice
The Picture can not do this justice, as this building went on for quite a while with auto parts on the roof in the... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Dakar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dakar... not what you would think!!!"
- "Chaotic, Charming and Colourful - Bustling Dakar"
- "Dakar - The Western Tip of Africa"
- "A Visit to Lac Rose"
- "West Africa capital..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dakar
- Hotels in Dakar
- Transportation in Dakar
- Nightlife in Dakar
- Restaurants in Dakar
- Shopping in Dakar
- Warnings and Dangers in Dakar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dakar
- 14 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Dakar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dakar
Photos in DakarSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cabbage Key Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Homer Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
Latest Dakar hotel reviews
- Le Meridien President Dakar
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Novotel Dakar
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Pullman Dakar Teranga Ex Sofitel
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Dakar
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Savana Jardin Hotel Dakar
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Farid Hotel Restaurant Dakar
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 28, 2013