"A Visit to Lac Rose" Top 5 Page for this destination Dakar by kaloz

Dakar Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 353 photos

The Pink Lake

I signed up for a tour to Lac Rose, the Pink Lake, which is a good drive from the port. We enjoyed a comfortable ride on tour busses to the lake and then switched to hard benched trucks for our tour. I had never seen a pink lake, and indeed the water has a reddish tinge that did not show up too well in photos, so for theis picture I beefed up the red, still not what you see in postcards. The locals were out on skiffs harvesting salt from the lake which they put into piles and the bag. It is a very interesting sight to see, I just wish that we would have been allowed to detruck and spend more time exploring and getting better photos.

The Village

At the far side of the lake we stopped at a village, which is cool, but was really more so that we could be hit up for donations every time we raised the camera, and the craft tent to part us of more money. I am sure that these villagers must be some of the richest people around from the toursist visits.

Camel

Over the rise we were on the ocean which was very cool with the waves breaking. Along the way we encountered this man on a camel, but again we made no stops. A very rushed tour. Even though we had a comfortable ride to this tour, it may have been better to secure different transportation and spend time the way we would have liked, not been hearded like cattle.

• Pros:Things I had never seen
  • Cons:Rushed tour with emphasis on taking our money
  • In a nutshell:Too much to see in this short time
  • Last visit to Dakar: Apr 2007
  • Intro Written Nov 17, 2008

• Apr 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Greetings, Thank you for the info. HOW does one find such cruises - are you able to provide web-address(es), please? What are costs / included, & are they on cargo ships?? Thank you, in anticipation. Kind Regards, Alifs1 [tundawenna2@hotmail.com]

kaloz

“On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless thousands.”

Badges & Stats in Dakar