"Hungary -- Travels with Dad" Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary by kaloz

Hungary Travel Guide: 11,238 reviews and 28,530 photos

A visit to the land of dad's family.

I grew up with many Hungarian friends in Cleveland, Ohio. The city with the 2nd largest Hungarian population (behind Budapest)!! Dad had talked about visiting, as he had never been there, and after a couple of years working at a good job, I booked us passage, and away we went. We were there for three weeks, and it was a blast. I tried to learn some Hungarian, but I was not very good.
This is a fountain in Pecs, there is no good way to photograph this wonderful fountain, and it is huge. A very simple design with many layers of small falling water. It was one of my favorite things in Hungary.

Barcsay Utca

This is a street in Budapest named for our family!! Utca is a small street. Ut is a larger street. There, now you can speak some Hungarian! We had a grand time taking many photos on our street, and there is a fountain at one end, where some street musicians set up and played for us. I had a roll of B&W in the camera that I had to finish in Hungary so this is not a grayscale of a color photo. I showed these pictures at work and one girl said that I must have an old camera. I thought she was observant because of the square format of the pictures, but I asked her why she thought that, and she said, "'cause it takes black and white photographs." I tell you it is true, I nearly fell over laughing.

Dad and Elvis

The King lives!! This is a posed photo of pops combing his hair in front of the Elvis shop. This is in the town of Sopron, near the Austrian border. We travelled all over the country. Visiting many regions and cities. It would be nice to spend more time in one place, but I didn't know if Pops would ever go back.

• Pros:Lots to see and do.
  • Cons:Hard Language
  • In a nutshell:Enjoy Hungary -- It's great
  • Last visit to Hungary: Sep 1992
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2002

• Jul 3, 2007 at 7:28 AM

Actually this bridge has been rebuilt recently. On the other hand, during WWII, for a few years, land on the opposite side was returned to Hungary, so you cannot say that it was blown up in order to prevent occupation from the Czechoslovakia.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2004 at 6:26 PM

You are right, there are so much to learn! Traveling with dad... I haven't done so for sooooo long! Must try to do it more often! :-) Prayers are very powerful, I didn't know how much until very recently!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2004 at 6:47 AM

Fountain in Pecs sounds great. Liked it that you went with your Pops! I was surprised that OP art started in Hungary! Postcard story was hilarious. Travelogue-outstanding. Grandmother picture was priceless. Wonderful pages I enjoyed so much.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2004 at 6:01 AM

Sounds like a wonderful experience. And you even found your own street! I am planning on a side trip to Budpest when I visit Prague in April.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2003 at 7:28 AM

a wonderful page, its so good to be able to help your parent fulfill a dream.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2003 at 9:06 PM

Sajnos nem beszélek magyarul! Elnézést, hol van a vécé?!!?

• danbp's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2003 at 3:30 PM

hi fellow traveller let me leave a comment: the ruined brudge at Esztergom mentioned on your Hungary page in your Must sees, was rebuilt and reopened as Mária Valéria Bridge in 2001, now connecting Esztergom(H) and Šturovo (SK).

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2003 at 8:51 AM

Very cool that you got to travel around Hungary with your dad. My dad never showed much interest in the old country (Slovenia, Croatia) so I went on my own.

• Alphons's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2003 at 1:10 AM

a wonderful page with great pics and info, greetings Alphons...

• aramat's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2003 at 5:02 PM

I see you've learned a lot of useful Hungarian. Just one thing: you can say "bus" if you say the Hungarian way ("boos") :-).

kaloz

“On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless thousands.”

Badges & Stats in Hungary

Have you been to Hungary?

Latest Activity in Hungary