"A big city that is off the beaten path" Recife by kaloz
Recife Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 348 photos
Recife (Pronounced Hey-Ceef-A) is a destination that many may have been to but I consider off the beaten path because those who travel here either spend their time at the famous beach, Boa Viagem, or in the hamlet of Olinda which is very charming. This leaves precious little time for Recife itself. Because of some canals near the shore, you may hear Recife referred to as the "Venice of Brasil" but I think these divides are more in the nature of "New York of Brasil" with different boroughs to visit on different islands.
Across the Rio Capibaribe is the districts of Boa Vista and Coelhos. I had a brief visit to Boa Vista which is a bustling place with lots of people and lots of activity. Along the river you may see fishermen repairing their nets which is always a good photo op. Coming from a fishing village myself this scene is near and dear to my heart. Walking further inland, Boa Vista would be the heart of Recife with many businesses and museums and parks. It is a wonderful place to get lost in.
I exchanged money (Cambio) and bought stamps (Correios = Post Office) in Santo Antonio which is at the tip of the island across from Boa Vista. Then went for a side trip to Olinda (Orinda). On the return I visited Sao Jose further down the island which was a more colorful section of town and I would say is the soul of Recife.
- Pros:Much to do and see
- Cons:A lot to see in a little time
- In a nutshell:Often overshadowed by other attractions
Leaving Recife and Brasil, we will cross the ocean and the equator on our way to Dakar Senegal. To cross the equator,... more travel advice
Strolling around Sao Jose in the afternoon there were many food stalls and street vendors. Much of the food looked... more travel advice
kaloz's Related Pages
Recife Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Boa VIagem - Recife"
- "RECIFE, my brazilian hometown"
- "Recife and Olinda"
- "Meet some friends in Recife"
- "Recife- A city worth visiting"
- "A big city that is off the beaten path"
- "The name is Recife, but it can call Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Recife
- Hotels in Recife
- Transportation in Recife
- Nightlife in Recife
- Restaurants in Recife
- Shopping in Recife
- Warnings and Dangers in Recife
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Recife
- 14 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Recife?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Recife
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 58 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 61 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 48 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Ireland Intro, 32 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Arlington Heights Intro, 25 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cadiz Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos
- Dakar Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Málaga Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos