Djibouti Transportation Tips by hunwagner Top 5 Page for this destination
Djibouti Transportation: 25 reviews and 34 photos
There is a good system of cheap, though crowded buses within Djibouti city.
Taxis are also plentiful, charging from 3 USD upwards per trip. They don't use meters so negotiate before getting in!
It may be possible to travel between Djibouti and Yemen by boat.
There are also boats within the country, connecting Djibouti City with the towns of Tadjourah and Obbock across the bay a few times weekly. The Obbock boats pass some inviting looking islands along the way.
Djibouti is well connected to countries within the region, and there are flights from Europe, too.
Buses connect Djibouti City with Ethiopia and the towns within Djibouti itself, while jeeps go to Hargeisa in Somaliland.
Djiboutian buses tend to be incredibly crowded and booking is recommended.
Fares are also relatively high.
The railway station in Djibouti City
The French built a railway line connecting Djibouti with neighbouring Ethiopia, but in the past years this has largely fallen into disuse. Services are now limited to irregular cargo trains, and most people prefer to travel by bus between the two countries, or within Djibouti itself.
More Reviews (15)
- Lonely Planet: Africa on a Shoestring
- Not as bad as it looks!
- Djibouti City
hunwagner's Related Pages
Djibouti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S HOT !"
- "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- "Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this"
- "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- "In A Different World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djibouti
- Hotels in Djibouti
- Transportation in Djibouti
- Nightlife in Djibouti
- Restaurants in Djibouti
- Shopping in Djibouti
- Warnings and Dangers in Djibouti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Djibouti
- 20 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Djibouti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djibouti
- Posted in Travel Papua Province Forum "Re: Oz to Jayapura"
- updated a Djibouti Travel Page "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- Commented on one of cmthomas's Djibouti travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lonely Planet: Africa on a Shoestring in Djibouti What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Central Market"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos