"A visit to "my relatives": the Khanty & the Mansi" Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug by hunwagner
Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 19 photos
Being a Hungarian, I have been interested in visiting our closest surviving linguistic relatives, the Khanty and Mansi since I first learned about them in elementary school.
The opportunity to do so came in 2002, when I stopped in Tyumeny on my way home overlanding from Japan, and travelled up the Irtish and Ob rivers to the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug.
While the area is overwhelmingly Russified now with booming oil towns, I did find vast expanses of stunningly beautiful, pristine nature and also communities of our "relatives" still maintaining much of their traditional culture.
I hope I will be able to return for a second visit one day...
The Khanty today number only some 22.000. They are found mostly in the eastern part of the Khanty-Mansi AO, as well as in the south-western part of the neighbouring Yamal-Nenets AO. Only the Northern and the Eastern Khanty maintain their native language and traditional way of life to varying degrees nowadays.
The Mansi number only 8000, living in the western part of the Khanty-Mansi AO. Only the Northern Mansi still speak their native language and live in communities where traditional ways are still followed.
- Pros:Unique cultures and unspoilt landscapes way off the beaten track
- Cons:High prices, rampaging development, limited transport - and zillions of mosquitos!
- In a nutshell:Definitely a region of "special interest" only!
hunwagner's Related Pages
Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A visit to "my relatives": the Khanty & the Mansi"
- "Where are the Khanti Mansi people?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug
- Hotels in Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy Okrug
Photos in Khanty-Mansiyskiy Avtonomnyy OkrugSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos