"Asmara: The "Little Rome" of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara by hunwagner
Asmara Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 477 photos
The capital of newly independent Eritrea, Asmara is one of the most beautiful and pleasant cities in the whole of Africa, if not anywhere in the World.
Situated at an elevation of 2400 metres above sea-level, its climate is pleasantly cool, but also dry and sunny for much of the year. Architecturally, it is a real feast for the eyes. Having been the centre of Italian colonial efforts in Africa in the first part of the 20th century, Asmara was blessed with beautiful buildings that would only draw praise in Italy as well. Even after the Italians were gone, the city has managed to escape the raveges of third world development, and has amazingly even survived the wars with Ethiopia intact. Current government policies also prevent it from become yet another sprawling, polluted African capital ringed with slums.
Not only is Asmara beautiful, clean and pleasantly cool, it is also a very safe and relaxed city, where one can walk around at any time of the day or night without having to worry about safety, or even more minor hassles like beggars.
The locals are a very cultured lot who seem to pride themselves on their city's Italian heritage, fondly call it "Little Rome", and cafeterias and pizzerias do a roaring trade along the city's main avenue.
And in case you start wondering whether all this comes at a price, you might be delighted to hear that Asmara is also among the cheapest capitals in the continent!
Not surprisingly, this is one of the few places that visitors almost invariably fall in love with instantly.
Another bizarre sight along the same lines is this giant statue of a pair of sandals in the middle of a major... more travel advice
Some old houses, like this one, are decorated with beautiful murals, ironworak, and mansonry. If you keep your eyes... more travel advice
hunwagner's Related Pages
Asmara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Asmara, Eritrea"
- "Asmara: The "Little Rome" of Africa"
- "Lovely Asmara"
- "Asmara - City of Surprises"
- "Asmara - nice people and poor country"
- "eritrea : undiscovered jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asmara
- Hotels in Asmara
- Transportation in Asmara
- Nightlife in Asmara
- Restaurants in Asmara
- Shopping in Asmara
- Warnings and Dangers in Asmara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Asmara
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Asmara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asmara
Photos in AsmaraSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
Latest Asmara hotel reviews
- InterContinental Asmara
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013