"Keren: The Gateway to Western Eritrea" Keren by hunwagner
Keren Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos
If you only have the time to make one excursion out of Asmara, you should make it Keren.
Even though it is only about three hours away on the scenic, winding roads, this sprawling town has a completely different feel to the capital.
While Asmara is very much an Italian-style city, Keren is much more of a typically Muslim trading township reminding you that the Sahara is not far away. However, it is still at an altutude of 1400 metres, so it never gets unpleasantly hot here. There are plenty of inviting-looking hotels, relaxed coffee-shops, colorful markets and friendly people to make a longer stay a good option.
Don't miss it!
On the outskirts of Keren you will find many typically round-shaped, tatched African huts scattered among the... more travel advice
The main vegetable and fruit market in Keren is a riot of colour, thanks to the gorgeous traditional costumes of the... more travel advice
hunwagner's Related Pages
Keren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keren: The Gateway to Western Eritrea"
- "Keren The Tranquil Hilltown"
- "so close to asmara ...so different"
- "Amazing Keren"
- "Keren, market town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Keren
- 8 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Keren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Keren
Photos in KerenSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos