"Massawa: Eritrea's Historic Red Sea Port" Massawa by hunwagner
Massawa Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos
Massawa has a completely different feel from other towns in Eritrea. This port town is split in three distinct parts. The sprawling new part on the mainland is of little interest. Across a causeway is Talaud Island, home to the best hotels in town. Yet another causeway takes one on to the old part of the city, situated on Massawa Island. This part of Massawa is a typical Arab trading port like others along the north-eastern coastline of Africa or around the Arabian Peninsula. It is full of cream-colored buildings built of coral stone, some still sporting intricately carved wooden doors and balconies.
Unfortunately, Massawa suffered heavy destruction during the wars with Ethiopia, and the old town now has a sadly run-down feel to it. Being a major port, it does have a thriving (and decidely seedy) nightlife scene though. For tourists however, its main attraction could be its role as a gateway to the enticing Dahlak Archipelago, Eritrea's prime spot for diving and snorkelling. Sadly, the islands are expensive to reach.
Once you leave the main waterfront and the main street, you will find lots of sadly dilapidated buildings that would... more travel advice
The old port on Massawa Island is still busy with cargo traffic. It is also lined with old houses that have been... more travel advice
hunwagner's Related Pages
Massawa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Massawa: Eritrea's Historic Red Sea Port"
- "Stunning Massawa"
- "Massawa Charming Red Sea Port"
- "A poor city with a lot of heart and much to offer"
- ""I hope to meet you again...""
- "Massawa, Red Sea Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Massawa
- Hotels in Massawa
- Transportation in Massawa
- Restaurants in Massawa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Massawa
- 8 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Massawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Massawa
Photos in MassawaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos