"Noumea: The Paris of the South Pacific" Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa by hunwagner
Nouméa Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 147 photos
The capital of New Caledonia is easily the most European, and quite possibly the most beautiful city in the South Pacific. In fact, it feels and looks much more like a typical French city along the Mediterranean than a Melanesian capital - if you come here from another Pacific nation, be prepared for a bit of a culture shock!
Not only is the architecture very French, so is the population. French, many of them recent immigrants, easily make up the majority here, though the visible presence of the native Kanaks, as well as Francophone Asian and Polynesian immigrant communities still give Noumea a bit of a cosmopolitan air. What is conspiciously missing is the usual large number of English-speaking tourists - even on Australian cruise-ship days, the city just seems to absorb them all, and the most visible non-French visitors are actually young Japanese homeymooners!
It is easy to feel a bit out of place here, but then it is very easy to enjoy the city as well.
It is clean, safe and modern, full of fine pieces of architecture and green parks, has beautiful beaches right in town, and the food is brilliant.
As usual with French teritories, it is somewhat expensive, but there are ways to limit the damage, and budget travellers can in fact live more cheaply, and certainly more nicely, in Noumea than in grotty capitals of the region like Honiara or Port Moresby.
- Pros:Beautiful, easygoing city with good beaches and great food
- Cons:Enjoying all it has to offer would mean bankruptcy!
- In a nutshell:Excellent base and intro for New Caledonia - but do see the countryside, too!
This monument for the centennary of the local Indonesian community is of no interest to most visitors, but it was a... more travel advice
Noumea has plenty of taxis, while buses are the cheaper form of public transport - still not really cheap at 200 francs... more travel advice
hunwagner's Related Pages
Nouméa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Noumea: The Paris of the South Pacific"
- "Noumea - "Paris of the Pacific"."
- "Noumea, la joie de vivre"
- "New Caledonia: Classic French with an Exotic Twist"
- "A Taste of France in the South Pacific"
- "A little slice of France in the South Pacific!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nouméa
- Hotels in Nouméa
- Transportation in Nouméa
- Nightlife in Nouméa
- Restaurants in Nouméa
- Shopping in Nouméa
- Warnings and Dangers in Nouméa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nouméa
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Nouméa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nouméa
Photos in NouméaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos