"The Isle of Pines: Paradise with a Difference" Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins by hunwagner
Île des Pins Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 87 photos
The South Pacific in general, and New Caledonia in particular, are certainly not short of "Tropical Paradise" type of beauty, which usually takes the form of a white-sand beach with turquise waters, shaded by the inevitable coconut palms.
And here is where this little piece of Paradise in the south of New Caledonia is different: instead of those familiar palm trees, its beaches are graced by towering pines! And not your familiar kind of pines, evoking images of cold Nordic vistas, but by New Caledonia's own, unique Columnar Pines (Araucaria columnaris). These pines can in fact be seen throughout New Caledonia, but here they seem to occur in higher concentrations than anywhere else.
Pines apart, this island also has just about all the essentials of everyone's favourite idea of paradise: powdery white-sand beaches, clean, calm blue waters with colorful coral-reefs, smiling locals with an exotic culture and a range of accomodation from campsites to an ultra-expensive resort.
As you might expect, you won't have it all for yourself of course - the Isle of Pines is one of New Caledonia's most popular holiday destinations and gets a fair share of tourists. However, it has so far managed to absorb them nicely, and remain a quiet and unspoilt tropical haven well worth visiting.
- Pros:Stunning scenic beauty
- Cons:Some of the highest prices in New Caledonia
- In a nutshell:A definite must-see!
The island's crystal clear waters are irresistable for snorkellers, with Oro Bay's "Natural Aquarium" and Kanumera Bay... more travel advice
There are several flights to the island from Noumea daily. Note that the airport is in the "remote" interior of the... more travel advice
hunwagner's Related Pages
Île des Pins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Isle of Pines: Paradise with a Difference"
- "The Isle Of Pines"
- "The Isle of Pines - A Jewel of the South Pacific."
- "Isle of Pines"
- "Ile des Pins"
- "Ile des Pins, New Caledonia"
- "One of the most beautiful islands in the Pacific"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île des Pins
- Hotels in Île des Pins
- Transportation in Île des Pins
- Restaurants in Île des Pins
- Shopping in Île des Pins
- Warnings and Dangers in Île des Pins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Île des Pins
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Île des Pins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île des Pins
Photos in Île des PinsSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos