"A few words about myself..." hunwagner's Profile
I was born in 1972 in Budapest, Hungary.
I still call it my home, but beautiful as the city may be, I love to get out of it.
Fortunately I have travel-happy parents who took me with them all over Central and Western Europe when I was a kid, leaving me to travel more exotic parts of the world on my own later.
After shorter trips to Eastern Europe and the Middle East, I started making longer journeys/stays in Asia, where I have spent well over a decade in total. Roughly 10 years of that was spent in Indonesia, especially in the remoter regions of Maluku, Kalimantan and West Papua.
I have also travelled around parts of Africa, Latin America and the South Pacific.
I prefer spending longer time in a country, and getting off the beaten track there, to rushing around the highlights of more countries within the same time-frame.
My main interests are wildlife, ethnic cultures, mountains and languages, though I like historical sites, too.
Things I don't care too much about include nightlife, beach resorts, diving and busy, modern cities.
Instead of boring you further with my bio, I try and give some more impressions of my travels by listing my favourite places below (strictly in alphabetical order only).
East Nusa Tenggara (Indonesia)
New Caledonia ("France")
Choga Zambil (Iran)
Banda Neira (Indonesia)
Isle of Pines (New Caledonia)
Orlofi (Solomon Islands)
Tiritiri Matangi (New Zealand)
Bale Mountains (Ethiopia)
Danum Valley (Malaysia)
Khao Yai (Thailand)
Mount Kenya (Kenya)
South Luangwa (Zambia)
Ujung Kulon (Indonesia)
Aitepe to Maprik (Papua New Guinea, by hiking & hitching)
Georgian Military Highway (Russia to Georgia, by bus)
Jiri to Everest & Hile (Nepal, by hiking)
Karakoram Highway (China to Pakistan, by bus)
Kashmir to Ladakh & Himachal (India, by bus & truck)
Muang Sing to the Mekong (Laos, by hiking)
Northland (New Zealand, by hitching)
South-West Maluku (Indonesia, by cargo boats)
Tobolsk to the Mansi (Russia, by riverboats)
Wamena to the Korowai (Indonesian New Guinea, by hiking)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 281 Reviews
- 313 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
updated their Profile Page "A few words about myself..."
- updated a Indonesia Travel Page "Indonesia: The World's Greatest Archipelago"
- hunwagner and kiwi are now friends.
- Commented on asianbelle's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ternate: The Capital of North Maluku"
- Posted in Travel Papua Province Forum "Re: Oz to Jayapura"
- Wrote a Review Calauit Island in Philippines Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 57 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Intro, 27 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eritrea Intro, 29 reviews, 14 photos
- Massif du Panié Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nouméa Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Hienghène Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Île des Pins Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asmara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos