"Dublin" Dublin by AR76
Dublin Travel Guide: 5,420 reviews and 10,305 photos
When I finished college in July 1999 I didn't have a clue what to do or where to go. Finding a job right after graduation proved to be harder than I expected so I was ready to take up any job that would come my way.
Then my dad found an newspaper ad about a company in Dublin looking for people speaking both Dutch and English. I didn't think for long, sent in my application, and less than 2 months later I was ready to jump into the uncertain. Before the ad, I had never even thought about going to Dublin (or to Ireland in general). I could pinpoint it on a map, but "Ireland is rainy and green" was about all I knew...
But curious as I am, uncertainty or the fact I didn't know anyone there didn't keep me from going!
So there I was, in a foreign country, sharing accommodation with people I barely knew, training to become an airline employee. That picture wouldn't have appeared in my wildest dreams!
It never crossed my mind to go back though; no, I was determined to stay here for a year and then move on.
Within days from my arrival the "people I barely knew" became not only my colleagues, but close friends, and together we explored the city (read: the pubs & clubs) of Dublin.
All the people I met, in- and outside the working environment, made me feel like home, and it did not take much to fall in love with Dublin, Ireland and the Irish. From 'the capital of Ireland, the city of my future job', Dublin became 'my city', my home. I ended up staying for 2 full years rather than the year I planned for...
- In a nutshell:I hope that if you ever visit Dublin, you will feel at home as well and have the time of your life like I did!
Yes, you will hear the Irish talk about crack all the time. Or so you think! In fact, they talk about something that is... more travel advice
*** O'Dwyers is currently closed for renovations *** This 3-in-1 pub/night club has plenty to offer for everyone.... more travel advice
AR76's Related Pages
Dublin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ultra Trendy Capital City"
- "Great place - but not the real Ireland"
- "Dublin - The Windy City!!"
- "My first trip to Ireland!"
- "AT LAST I MADE IT TO DUBLIN"
- "Dirty old town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dublin
- Hotels in Dublin
- Transportation in Dublin
- Nightlife in Dublin
- Restaurants in Dublin
- Shopping in Dublin
- Warnings and Dangers in Dublin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dublin
- 24 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dublin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dublin
Photos in DublinSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 24 reviews, 9 photos
- Kaatsheuvel Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 10 reviews, 4 photos
- Cairo Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Luxor Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos
- Castlebar Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- North Bull Island Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Clontarf Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos