"Dublin" Dublin by AR76

Dublin Travel Guide: 5,145 reviews and 9,472 photos

Why Dublin of all places?

When I finished college in July 1999 I didn't have a clue what to do or where to go. Finding a job right after graduation proved to be harder than I expected so I was ready to take up any job that would come my way.

Then my dad found an newspaper ad about a company in Dublin looking for people speaking both Dutch and English. I didn't think for long, sent in my application, and less than 2 months later I was ready to jump into the uncertain. Before the ad, I had never even thought about going to Dublin (or to Ireland in general). I could pinpoint it on a map, but "Ireland is rainy and green" was about all I knew...

But curious as I am, uncertainty or the fact I didn't know anyone there didn't keep me from going!

Home is where the heart is...

So there I was, in a foreign country, sharing accommodation with people I barely knew, training to become an airline employee. That picture wouldn't have appeared in my wildest dreams!

It never crossed my mind to go back though; no, I was determined to stay here for a year and then move on.
Within days from my arrival the "people I barely knew" became not only my colleagues, but close friends, and together we explored the city (read: the pubs & clubs) of Dublin.

All the people I met, in- and outside the working environment, made me feel like home, and it did not take much to fall in love with Dublin, Ireland and the Irish. From 'the capital of Ireland, the city of my future job', Dublin became 'my city', my home. I ended up staying for 2 full years rather than the year I planned for...

• In a nutshell:I hope that if you ever visit Dublin, you will feel at home as well and have the time of your life like I did!
  • Last visit to Dublin: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 31, 2005

AR76 Used To Live Here!

AR76

“--------- Life is a party, and we`re all invited! -------- ----------------Home is where the heart is...”

Badges & Stats in Dublin