Philippines Favorite Tips by syllybabe Top 5 Page for this destination
Philippines Favorites: 205 reviews and 220 photos
Favorite thing: I have conceded to the fact that Thailand's fruits are generally sweeter than ours but one fruit that I can boast of for unparalleled sweetness is our mango.
They're grown everywhere in the country but the ones grown in the island of Guimaras are known to be the best.
While you're here, indulge! They're available at most fruit stands most of the year.
Favorite thing: We're highly impressionable. We like billboards because it reminds us of things we want to buy or use. Billboards are everywhere especially in Manila. This one on the pic can be seen right after the bridge in Guadalupe, Makati and it always seems to change everytime I'm in Manila.
Favorite thing: ...abound year round. Flower gardens and flower stalls can be found in every city. Orchids for export are grown mostly in Davao but you'll see some in Negros and Luzon as well.
Cathedral at night
Favorite thing: The Philippines is the only predominantly Catholic country in Asia. This is due to Spain's 300yr. reign.
From the time Magellan first anchored on our shores in 1521 til the Americans took over in the late 1800's, our people have taken in not only Catholicism but other Spanish traits as well. Even food here is influenced by a touch of Spain.
Fondest memory: This photo is of the San Sebastian Cathedral in Bacolod City. Churches similar to this one can be found in almost every town or city around the country.
Favorite thing: Yes, you're seeing blue.
Our waters do get as blue as this especially in Boracay but you can find these blue waters around most of our islands...especially in the Visayas. Check out beaches in Cebu, Bohol, and off Negros and Panay.
Favorite thing: Remember that and try to wake up to catch one of the beautiful sunrises we have in this pearl of the orient.
I've seen spectacular sunsets but I favor sunrises for the promise of newness that it brings with it as it gives itself to us everyday.
Fondest memory: I woke up at 530am last summer to capture that lone fisherman's boat on the water. I've been wanting to go back to Escalante since then if only to capture more sunrises.
Favorite thing: ...are a common sight when you drive out in our countrysides. Most common grassy growth would be rice and sugarcane in large plantations that can still be seen outside the big cities.
Mt. Kanlaon as seen from the plains of Bacolod
Favorite thing: Former Senator Raul S. Manglapus wrote this when he was a young man about the oppression of the "tao", the common people by the Spaniards when the Philippines was still a colony in a piece called "Land of Bondage, Land of the Free".
It begins with "No wonder that the tao, being a slave, has acquired the habits of a slave."
The following is an excerpt. I have yet to find the full piece. Loved this when I was 10 and still evokes the same response in me when I say the words aloud to a willing audience (my father;-).
Fondest memory: "I indict the Spanish encomendero for inventing taxes impossible
to bear. I indict the usurer for for saddling me with debts
impossible to pay. You accuse me of not supporting my family? Free
me from bondage, and I shall prove you false! You accuse me of
ignorance. But I am ignorant because my master, the landlord,
finds it profitable to keep me ignorant. Free me from bondage, and
I shall prove you false! You accuse me of indolence. But I am
indolent not because I have no will. But because I have no hope.
Why should I labor when the fruits of my labor just go to pay an
unpayable debt? Free me from bondage and I shall prove you false!
Give me land. Land to call my own. Land unbeholden to any tyrant.
Land that will be free. Give me land for I am starving. Give me
land that my children may not die. Sell it to me. Sell it to me at
a fair price, as one free man sells to another, and not as a
usurer sells to a slave. Yes, I am poor, but I will pay for it. I
will work, work, work until I fall from weariness for my
privilege, for my inalienable right to be free. BUT IF YOU WILL
NOT GRANT ME THIS... If you will not grant me this last request,
this ultimate demand, then build a wall around your home.. Build
it high! Build it strong! Place a sentry on every parapet. For I who have been silent for three hundred years will
come to you in the night while you are feasting, with my cry and
bolo at your door. And may God have mercy on your soul!"
More Reviews (31)
syllybabe's Related Pages
Philippines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Philippines: The Fiesta Islands of Asia"
- "Tierra Adorada, Hija Del Sol De Oriente..."
- "My Country Home"
- "Over 7000 Islands!! Have Fun"
- "Beautiful Philippines Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Philippines
- Hotels in Philippines
- Transportation in Philippines
- Nightlife in Philippines
- Restaurants in Philippines
- Shopping in Philippines
- Warnings and Dangers in Philippines
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mayon Hotels
- Cruz Bay Hotels
- Tracadie Hotels
- Shore Acres State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Philippines
- 363 Reviews
- 411 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Philippines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Philippines
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Roast Suckling Pig"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Common Filipino traits"
- Wrote a Review Explore the caves in Sagada in Philippines Things to Do
- Commented on one of Travel2write's Philippines travel pages
- updated a Philippines Travel Page "Tierra Adorada, Hija Del Sol De Oriente..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 85 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod City Intro, 53 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 67 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 43 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hua Hin Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tagaytay Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
Top Philippines hotels
- Subic Hotels
- 246 Reviews - 861 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Tagaytay Hotels
- 258 Reviews - 846 Photos
- Boracay Island Hotels
- 1627 Reviews - 4505 Photos
- Cebu City Hotels
- 490 Reviews - 1464 Photos
- Makati Hotels
- 534 Reviews - 2137 Photos
- Davao Hotels
- 246 Reviews - 815 Photos
- Puerto Galera Hotels
- 366 Reviews - 937 Photos
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- 270 Reviews - 634 Photos
- Laguna Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Coron Hotels
- 194 Reviews - 510 Photos
- Quezon City Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 154 Photos
- Bohol Hotels
- 501 Reviews - 1633 Photos
- Vigan Hotels
- 417 Reviews - 1221 Photos